Brewers catcher literally knocks the cover off the ball
Well, Milwaukee Brewers catcher Martin Maldonado lived that fantasy on Friday -- at least part of it.
Maldonado got the knocking-the-cover-off part down, but it came on a pretty ordinary grounder to third base. Then Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez went to turn a potential inning-ending double play.
But Alvarez realized something was wrong when he went to grip the ball, then sent a fluttering throw toward first base that Maldonado beat out.
Hey, there's worse things than only living out half of a childhood fantasy while playing in the major leagues, right?
- Tee shirt pokes fun at struggling Diamondbacks
- D-backs announcers get into the spirit of 'Star Wars Day'
- Padres' 105-year-old fan delivers windmill-style first pitch
- Anxious Red Sox ball girl interferes with fair ball in foul territory
- Fan storms field at Cubs-Diamondbacks game, tries to elude security