Hideous Pelicans mascot suffers 'injury', will get facial reconstruction
But that's exactly what came across The Haboob's desk Monday afternoon: Mascot Pierre the Pelican injured in pickup game with fellow NBA mascots.
Pierre, the first-year mascot of the New Orleans Pelicans, suffered a broken beak while in a heated pickup contest featuring fellow NBA mascots Grizz (Memphis), Rocky (Denver), Slamson (Sacramento) and NFL mascot Gumbo (New Orleans Saints).
From the release:
Later today, Pierre will have surgery at Ochsner Medical Center to reconstruct the broken beak. Pelicans Team Physician Dr. Mathew McQueen will perform the surgery.
Actually, the mascot was so harshly received upon his debut last October, that the injury and corresponding facial surgery is a way for the organization to redesign the mascot before NBA All-Star Weekend in the Crescent City.
Here were some of the headlines around the internet when the world got a first look at Pierre:
It's kind of sad that so much emphasis is put on a mascot's appearance. For all we know, Pierre is a beautiful pelican on the inside. Such is contemporary American society.
- High school hockey player executes earth-shattering clothesline on opponent
- Ken Griffey Jr. not exactly thrilled during this interview
- Roger, Roger: Kareem reprises his Airplane! role for Wisconsin ad
- Sun Devil football trolls their in-state rival
- Tyreke Evans gets stuck in elevator prior to facing Suns