Eight players ejected in opening faceoff brawl between Canucks, Flames
So it should come as no surprise then that two seconds into the all-Canadian contest, the two teams, who came onto the ice with their fourth lines, engaged in a vicious brawl that led to the immediate ejection of eight players.
Notorious tough guys Tom Sestito (Canucks) and Brian McGrattan (Flames) were at the center of the fracas, as was minor-league call-up Kellan Lain, who was making his first career appearance with Vancouver.
In all, the two teams combined for 188 penalty minutes in the opening period, 142 of which came in the first 300 seconds.
But the fighting apparently didn't stop there.
Canucks head coach John Tortorella, who is well-known for his fiery temper, was reportedly caught on CBC's camera trying to make his way into the Flames' locker room between periods. Tortorella was intercepted by McGrattan, and the two exchanged words before being separated.
The NHL is currently reviewing the incident.
- High school hockey player executes earth-shattering clothesline on opponent
- Ken Griffey Jr. not exactly thrilled during this interview
- Roger, Roger: Kareem reprises his Airplane! role for Wisconsin ad
- Sun Devil football trolls their in-state rival
- Tyreke Evans gets stuck in elevator prior to facing Suns