Rays, Red Sox rivalry spills over into social media
In the bottom of the eighth inning at Fenway Monday night, Daniel Nava of the Red Sox was thrown out at the plate by Sam Fuld on what would have been the tying run. Home plate umpire Jerry Meals, who has a history of curious calls at crucial plays at the plate (right, Pirates fans?) blew the call and the Rays escaped with a 2-1 that put them up by a half-game in the standings.
Well, after the game, the Rays' official Twitter account had a little fun at Boston's expense due to the fact that the manual scoreboard inside the Green Monster wasn't immediately updated.
Which led, of course, to a Red Sox response.
Don't worry @raysbaseball we look forward to seeing you in Tampa in September for our home games at the Trop.— Boston Red Sox (@RedSox) July 30, 2013
Oh yeah, the Rays are looking forward to that series to...and they'll have telecommunications reinforcements in case David Ortiz "flips out" again.
WANTED: Steel alloy telephone with Kevlar cord. Will spare no expense. Must install by Sept. 10.— Tampa Bay Rays (@RaysBaseball) July 28, 2013
Should be fun the rest of the way in the AL East!
- Florida Panthers replace cracked glass with non-transparent pane
- Fan sets home Christmas lights to Auburn fight song, historic field goal return
- ESPN celebrates Dick Vitale with impressions
- Watch college basketball fans go crazy on their team's 10th point of game
- Lakers taking social media to a whole new level