Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 10:41 pm
Moore leads Lynx to win over Mercury
PHOENIX — Maya Moore had 26 points, 16 rebounds and five assists to lead Minnesota to an 80-69 victory over the Phoenix Mercury on Wednesday night for the Lynx's third straight win.
Seimone Augustus added 17 points and Janel McCarville had 10, including four during a decisive 13-2 run to open the fourth quarter, for Minnesota (5-1).
Diana Taurasi scored 28 points for the Mercury, who missed 16 of their first 21 shots and finished at just 34 percent. Rookie sensation Britney Griner had 10 points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes as Phoenix (3-4) snapped a three-game winning streak.
The Lynx trailed 60-56 going into the final period but took advantage of the Mercury's poor shooting. Phoenix made just 2-of-13 field goals in the fourth after gaining the lead on a run of its own in the third quarter.
Minnesota held Phoenix starter DeWanna Bonner, the second-leading scorer in the league a year ago at 20 points a game, to four points on 0-of-13 shooting from the field. Candice Dupree added 14 points for the Mercury, who shot just 4 for 21 on 3-pointers and were held 17 points below their league-leading average.
Despite shooting just 24 percent to start the game, Phoenix stayed within two points after one quarter and trailed by three at the break.
Moore led the Lynx with 18 points and 10 rebounds in the first 20 minutes as Minnesota took a 40-37 halftime lead. The Lynx then scored the first six points of the third quarter.
However, Taurasi scored eight points during a 17-2 run to give Phoenix the lead into the final period.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury - Thursday May 15Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner speaks on WNBA uniform changes and her new memoir.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.