Updated Jun 4, 2012 - 11:47 am
Bonner leads Mercury over Shock
Rookie Sammy Prahalis added 19 points and six assists. She converted a three-point play with 3:15 left to give Phoenix (2-4) a six-point lead after Tulsa (0-6) had cut the lead to 69-66. The Mercury had led by as much as 12 in the third quarter.
Jennifer Lacy had 19 points, including her fourth 3- pointer with 4:55 remaining that brought the Shock to within three. But she missed a layup with 41 seconds left and the Shock down 74-70.
The Mercury's only other win this season was a 89-87 decision at Tulsa on May 22 when Prahalis hit two free throws with 22.2 seconds remaining. Phoenix led by 11 with 4:42 left.
Candice Dupree added 15 points, five rebounds and four assists for the Mercury, who played their third straight game without all-star Diana Taurasi, the four-time defending league scoring champion who is nursing a strained left hip flexor.
Tameka Johnson, who was traded from Phoenix to Tulsa in the offseason, added 18 points and nine rebounds for the Shock.
Johnson scored 11 points in the third quarter to help Tulsa cut a 12-point deficit to 57-53 going into the final period. She banked in a shot from 10 feet with 1:40 left in the quarter to get the Shock within 50-49.
Bonner scored 10 points and had six rebounds to lead the Mercury to a 37-25 lead at the break after Phoenix took advantage of Tulsa's cold start. The Shock missed 12 shots in a row in the first quarter and trailed 12-3 aftr the first seven minutes.
Tulsa, which lost a league-record 20 games in a row last season, has lost 12 straight dating back to 2011.
- Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury - Thursday May 15Phoenix Mercury center Brittney Griner speaks on WNBA uniform changes and her new memoir.
- Jim Pitman, Mercury General Manager - Thursday February 13How do things look on the business side of the Mercury organization?
- Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury - Thursday January 23Ann Meyers Drysdale, VP of Phoenix Suns & Phoenix Mercury, talks about landing the WNBA All-Star Gam
- Russ Pennell/Phoenix Mercury Head Coach - Thursday September 19Discusses playoffs, Mercury's defense, and difference between men's college basketball and women's p
- Diana Taurasi, Phooenix Mecury guard - Wednesday September 18The Mercury get ready for their playoff series against the Sparks.