Alhambra Lions will run, but add a few passing wrinkles
Originally published: Jun 22, 2014 - 12:00 am
Here it comes. When Phoenix Alhambra’s football team lines up on offense, you just know the Lions will run the ball.
The team has averaged about 3,500 yards on the ground the last few seasons, according to long-time coach Frank Lautt.
But as much as Lautt and his squad like to grind it out, they also know that it will help to open things up if they can throw the ball every now and then.
That’s part of the objective in the team’s participation in a passing competition for Phoenix Union High School District schools on Tuesdays in June at Betty H. Fairfax High in Laveen. This week (June 24) will be the final installment, with an actual tournament beginning at approximately 6 p.m.
Lautt’s team wears red jerseys as well as interesting red headgear. It looks like a cross between a Lego figure and a boxer or maybe a hockey player.
The Lions would like to show everyone that they are more substance than style as they get ready to enter the new season in Division III.
“We are improving,’’ Lautt said.
The coach said the team will rely on a pair of junior slotbacks, Lakel Davis and Jesus Velazquez. Incoming senior Eric Lopez has shown improvement at quarterback. Senior running back Marquis Bray is expected to get a lot of carries.
“I think we’re going to be good defensively,’’ Lautt said.
“In the summer, we want to keep it simple but do enough so that everybody knows what to expect.’’
Alhambra’s linemen also have been busy in the weight room and that should help to bring stability on both sides of the ball.
As they have for the last 15 years, the Lions will head to Show Low in late July/early August for their preseason camp.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.