FB coaching change should not mean big adjustment at Fairfax
Originally published: Jun 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Despite a change in status of its head coach, the football team from Betty H. Fairfax in Laveen is gearing up for the start of the 2014 season.
Former coach Kevin Belcher is moving up to the athletic director’s post. Dylan Winemiller, an assistant for the Stampede and a former head coach at Phoenix North, is running the team on an interim basis in summer seven-on-seven passing competition at Fairfax, and he has applied for the head-coaching job on a permanent basis.
“We don’t anticipate changing too much. Defense usually is our strength and we are going to hit and we are going to run. We will be fast and we like to swarm,’’ Winemiller said.
Fairfax has been hosting passing competition for teams in the Phoenix Union High School District on Tuesdays and the intensity will pick up with a “tournament’’ on the final day, June 24.
The Stampede finished 7-3 under Belcher last season, and look forward to another successful campaign.
One of the key elements to watch is the development of sophomore-to-be Andrew Zombrowski at quarterback.
“He is smart and he is intelligent, has the tools and he is a tall kid,’’ Winemiller said. “He also has been getting stronger, working in the weight room. We look forward to seeing what he can do in a full (pads) situation.’’
Dillon Proby should be one of the quarterback’s favorite targets as a tight end. Proby also plays defensive end.
Other key returnees are inside linebacker Angelo Lopez, safety-cornerback Fabian Gholston, cornerback David Perez and middle linebacker Eryk Gammage.
Winemiller is hopeful that the remainder of the coaching staff from last season will remain intact, which would eliminate or limit any issues brought about by the transition.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.