FB coaching change should not mean big adjustment at Fairfax
Originally published: Jun 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Despite a change in status of its head coach, the football team from Betty H. Fairfax in Laveen is gearing up for the start of the 2014 season.
Former coach Kevin Belcher is moving up to the athletic director’s post. Dylan Winemiller, an assistant for the Stampede and a former head coach at Phoenix North, is running the team on an interim basis in summer seven-on-seven passing competition at Fairfax, and he has applied for the head-coaching job on a permanent basis.
“We don’t anticipate changing too much. Defense usually is our strength and we are going to hit and we are going to run. We will be fast and we like to swarm,’’ Winemiller said.
Fairfax has been hosting passing competition for teams in the Phoenix Union High School District on Tuesdays and the intensity will pick up with a “tournament’’ on the final day, June 24.
The Stampede finished 7-3 under Belcher last season, and look forward to another successful campaign.
One of the key elements to watch is the development of sophomore-to-be Andrew Zombrowski at quarterback.
“He is smart and he is intelligent, has the tools and he is a tall kid,’’ Winemiller said. “He also has been getting stronger, working in the weight room. We look forward to seeing what he can do in a full (pads) situation.’’
Dillon Proby should be one of the quarterback’s favorite targets as a tight end. Proby also plays defensive end.
Other key returnees are inside linebacker Angelo Lopez, safety-cornerback Fabian Gholston, cornerback David Perez and middle linebacker Eryk Gammage.
Winemiller is hopeful that the remainder of the coaching staff from last season will remain intact, which would eliminate or limit any issues brought about by the transition.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.