Day 2 of MLB draft tabs RHP Farris, RHP Kipper in 9th round
Originally published: Jun 6, 2014 - 12:00 am
University of Arizona right-hander James Farris was the first of two former Arizona prep players selected on Friday (June 6) on the second day of the annual Major League Baseball Draft. Farris was followed closely by Texas Christian pitcher Jordan Kipper.
Farris, who prepped two seasons at Gilbert's Highland High after moving there from Nebraska, was drafted in the ninth round by the Chicago Cubs with pick No. 259. Farris was drafted last year as a junior at UofA by Houston in the 15th round, but opted to stay at Arizona for his senior year. He was the starting pitcher two years ago in the deciding game of the College World Series won by the Wildcats. Farris tossed 7 2/3 innings in that game with a no-decision.
Taken 10 picks later at No. 269 was right-hander Kipper. Kipper prepped at Mountain Pointe and was a member of the 2011 big-school state title team. Kipper drove in the winning run in that game. It's the third time Kipper has been drafted. He was selected in the 39th round by the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2011, but opted to play at Central Arizona College. Kipper was taken again in 2012 in the 30th round by Philadelphia, but chose to move on to TCU. He is a junior for TCU, which is currently playing in the NCAA Super Regional against Pepperdine.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.