Big hits from Chaparral sluggers give D-I North stars win
Originally published: Jun 1, 2014 - 12:00 am
The men from Scottsdale Chaparral High are not slap hitters.
They have plenty of pop in their bats.
The power display came on Sunday night as first baseman Marshall Forest and outfielder Andrew Shaps led the North to a 6-4 victory over the South in the Arizona Baseball Coaches Association Division I All-Star Game at Surprise Stadium.
One inning after Shaps launched a two-run home run to right field in the fourth inning, Forest ripped a double to the base of the fence in deep center field with the bases loaded and two outs for a 5-2 lead. The North got its final run in the eighth with the help of a South error.
Phoenix Horizon right-hander Trevor Horn earned the victory and Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor righty Corey Wilson picked up the save by setting the South down in order in the bottom of the ninth.
The first three innings were crisp with both teams’ pitching staffs throwing well.
Then things began to slow down as the bats started to warm up.
Shaps’ shot, with no one out in the fourth, followed a leadoff single by Phoenix Pinnacle’s Kobie Foppe.
The South came right back with two runs in its half of the fourth on an error and a run-scoring single.
In the top of the fifth, Glendale Deer Valley’s Dustin Higgins led off with an infield hit. The South appeared as if it was going to get out of further trouble with two straight outs, but Mesa Red Mountain’s C.J. James walked , Sandra Day O’Connor’s Degan Harte was hit by a pitch and Forest came up with his big hit.
Stolen bases and another error allowed the South to pull to within 5-4 in the bottom of the fifth. The South got a pair of hits in the sixth but could not put anything on the board.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.