Plenty of heroes in North's D-III baseball all-star victory
Originally published: May 31, 2014 - 12:00 am
The North all-stars bonded quickly on Saturday night and by the time their 11-6 victory over the South finished, nine players had contributed an RBI or more in the Division III Arizona Baseball Coaches Association all-star game at Surprise Stadium.
With so many players getting in to the offensive act it was difficult to select a most valuable player. Drawing a name out of a hat might have been as fair as any method. Ultimately MVP honors went to Page infielder Tyler Janes. Janes was 2-for-2 with a double, RBI, run scored and stolen base. His double came in the first and delivered the first run of the game -- a game the North never trailed in. The South tied the game at 2 early, but the North strung together five hits and three runs in the fourth to break it open. Its lead was 6-2 after five innings and swelled to 11-2 after 8 thanks to a five-run eighth inning,. This time the five runs were plated with five hits. A shaky ninth allowed the South to score four times and make the final tally respectable.
Joining Janes in the North's RBI parade were Blue Ridge's Bailey Schahn (two), Show Low's James Lewis (two), Blue Ridge's Brazis Horak, Valley Christian's Micah Izquierdo, Snowflake's Nate Kelley, Payson's Nick McMullen, Show Low's Jace Wyatt and Chino Valley's Branden Redfern all with one each.
Redfern was the winning pitcher, hurling scoreless innings in the third and fourth when the North broke the tie. Lewis had the best stint of five North pitchers. Lewis allowed one hit, no runs and struck out four in pitching the fifth and sixth.
Five North players had two hits -- Janes, Izquierdo, Kelley, Holbrook's Nikko Ferniza and Monument Valley's Keanu Mitchell. The North outhit the South 16-7. The South used eight pitchers and although a couple were knocked around they combined for 14 strikeouts.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.