The Umpire Working First Base
Originally published: May 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Every AIA Official has something else they do other than officiate. There are teachers, attorneys, engineers, accountants, bank execs all great officials and even better friends.
Each one working as an AIA official not because of the few dollars they make as much as the chance to give back to the community and stay involved in the great sport he or she love. They all bring their own perspective to the game they are working and each person has their own personality and their own way of dealing with everyone involved with the contest.
Very few coaches, players or fans know little about the AIA Official working their contest other than the uniforms we wear or the calls we get right or wrong.
With all that said I wanted to introduce you to one official who brings a unique perspective to the games he officiates, Father Craig Friedly. Father Friedly and I go back 18 years working on youth football fields in North Scottsdale together.
We both shared the same goal of trying to get better on the field while quizzing each other on the rules. I will never forget the halftime while I was thinking of a great question to stump Craig he told me he wanted to become a priest. Two months later he was headed for Oregon and the seminary.
Beyond football Father Friedly also works basketball, but his true passion is baseball. For as long as I have known him, he would always talk about his goal of working an AIA State Championship baseball game.
While Saturday his dream came true as Father Friedly was assigned to work the Division 4 State Baseball Final played at Goodyear Stadium. He told me before the game he was a little nervous but was ready.
The game was fun to watch with Tucson Desert Christian winning 4-2 over Tucson Pusch Ridge. The entire crew worked an outstanding game with Rich Nurkka working the plate, Burl Lane working as the third base umpire, and Father Craig Friedly working first base.
Legendary AIA Official Fritz Goreham who has worked as Father Friedly crew chief for the last five years of AIA Football summed it up best…”I could not be happier for Father Craig for achieving his goal of working an AIA State Final Baseball game. I know from my many conversations with him how dedicated and professional he really is. Saturday he did himself and the AIA proud”.
Congratulations to Father Craig Friedly and all the baseball umpires working the AIA playoffs and Championhips.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.