Two nationally-ranked teams featured at the 2014 Sollenberger Classic
Originally published: May 16, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mountain Pointe (Phoenix) celebrates after winning last year's Sollenberger Classic game 28-21 over host Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas).
Unfortunately, No. 6 Mountain Pointe (Phoenix) and host and No. 17 Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas) won't be playing each other.
Gorman (13-2 last year), the five-time defending state Division I champion, will play perennial Phoenix power Brophy College Prep in a 7 p.m. Friday game on Aug. 22. Brophy should rebound from a 5-7 season in 2013.
Under coach Tony Sanchez, Gorman has gone 60-5 in five seasons.
The game is scheduled to be broadcast live on Fox Sports Arizona Plus at 7 p.m.
Mountain Pointe (14-0) will take on Reed (Sparks, Nev.) in a 7 p.m. game the following night. The game is scheduled to be broadcast live on Fox Sports Arizona Plus at 7 p.m.
Last season, Mountain Pointe upset Gorman 28-21 and went on to win 14 straight games overall, capped with a 42-19 win over defending champion Hamilton in the AIA State Division I title game.
Reed, which lost in the Nevada D1 state finals to Gorman, finished 12-2 last season.
Tickets for the Sollenberger Classic, at Gorman's beautiful Fertitta Field, are $10 for adults, $5 for seniors/military and students (ages 6-18). Children 5 and younger are admitted free.
The Sollenberger Classic honors the late Barry Sollenberger, a former AIA employee. As a sports historian, Sollenberger was devoted to the task of documenting the achievements of high school athletes in the state of Arizona.
The Bishop Gorman faithful always come out in droves, especially for the Sollenberger Classic, as they did last season.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.