CDO rips Cactus, sets up all-Tucson final in D-II softball
Originally published: May 16, 2014 - 12:00 am
The Tucson area features some of the best prep softball teams in the state, and the 2014 finalists in Division II are prime examples of that.
Canyon del Oro and Ironwood Ridge, both from the community of Oro Valley in the northwest section of Tucson, will meet on Monday (May 19) at 5:30 p.m. at Arizona State’s Farrington Stadium in Tempe.
Fourth-seeded CDO was the final piece of the puzzle, rolling to a 9-0 victory over No. 7 Glendale Cactus in an elimination game on Friday (May 16) at the Rose Mofford Sports Complex in Phoenix. No. 5 Ironwood Ridge was the team that put CDO in the elimination bracket with a stunning 17-0 victory on May 8.
CDO coach Stephanie Nicholson certainly is not lacking in confidence, nor are her players. They know a lot of players for Ironwood Ridge and are looking forward to the rematch.
“This game means a lot because we are in the same district (Amphitheater). If we stay level-headed, we have a chance to play well,’’ Nicholson said.
Asked if she would have liked to have saved some of Friday’s runs for Ironwood Ridge, Nicholson calmly said, “We plan on hitting the same amount and bringing in the same amount (of runs).’’
The score against Cactus was not that one-sided until the bottom of the sixth, when the Dorados scored seven runs, including a grand slam by Rebecca Ziegler. Cactus’ Morgan Renyer had pitched a solid game until the roof caved in.
CDO scored its first two runs of the game in the fourth inning to break a scoreless deadlock. The Dorados got help from a pair of Cactus errors.
Sophomore Gabby Blevins pitched the first six innings, giving up five hits, and sophomore Randi Longville pitched the seventh, retiring the side in order.
“Gabby kept the ball low, got a lot of ground balls and we played good defense behind her,’’ Nicholson said. “We work on defense constantly.’’
Canyon del Oro will be seeking its eighth title on Monday. Ironwood Ridge has not won a title, but has been to the final three times, most recently a year ago against Peoria Sunrise Mountain. CDO defeated Ironwood Ridge during the regular season 6-4 on April 15.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.