D-I track: 3 state records set; Westbrook, Rodriguez shine
Originally published: May 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Three state records were set and a pair of exiting seniors went out in style Saturday at the Division I state track and field meet at Mesa Community College
Setting new standards were Bryant O'Georgia of North Canyon in the high jump, Desert Vista's Dani Jones in the 1,600 and Highland's Lauren Ellsworth in the 800. O'Georgia cleared 7 feet 2 1/4 inch to break Casa Grande's Gabe Beecham's 25-year-old record of 7-2. Jones and Ellsworth can thank each other for their records.
The juniors pushed each other in all three of the distance races Wednesday and Saturday plus the 4x800 relay, which Highland won by an eyelash with Ellsworth running the anchor leg. Ellsworth's time of 2:07.61 in the 800 bettered the previous mark of 2:08.61 set by Xavier's Natalie Johnson. Jones clipped Mountain Pointe's Sara Gorton's mark of 4:49.11 in the 1,600 with a new standard of 4:48.73. Jones was second to Ellsworth in the 800 and Ellsworth was second to Jones in the 1,600 as well as the 3,200 that was contested on Wednesday.
Chandler, which won its ninth consecutive big school team crown thanks to a win in the final event (4x400), was led by Ky Westbrook's swan song that saw her win four individual events on Saturday. Westbrook won the 100 hurdles, 100-meters, 200 and shot put. Rodriguez was a big reason Corona del Sol's boys prevailed to unseat Brophy as team champs. Rodriguez won the 800 and 1,600 on Wednesday and added titles Saturday in the 3,200 and took care of the anchor leg in the winning 4x800 relay. Rodriguez leaves his senior year part of the team cross country state champs and team track champs.
Other standouts from Saturday's D-I competition were Brophy hurdler-sprinter Bobby Grant (winner of the 200 and 300 hurdles); North Canyon's Jasmine Stauffacher Gray (400 and 300 hurdles) and Mountain Pointe's Paul Lucas, who won the long jump and 100 meters before a hamstring injury forced him from competing in the 200 and 400 -- events he was favored to win.
Other event winners Saturday in the boys competition were Corona's Tevin Mayfield (110 hurdles,; Mesa Mountain View's Clark Brown (400) and Hamilton's Beau Eggers (discus). Other event winners in the girls competition were Desert Vista's Vanessa Davis (pole vault) and Sandra Day O'Connor's Juliette Cossey (triple jump).
Corona won the boys team title besting runner-up Desert Vista and third-place Brophy. Chandler edged Desert Vista in the girls by six points, its narrowest team-title margin of the nine its won in succession.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.