CDO forgets lop-sided loss, battles back in D-II softball
Originally published: May 10, 2014 - 12:00 am
It was an understatement to say that Tucson Canyon del Oro’s softball team was stunned by a 17-0 loss to rival Ironwood Ridge in the Division II state tournament on Thursday (May 8).
A loss of that magnitude is as rare as a blizzard in the desert for the Dorados, long a state powerhouse.
That meant they had to have a short memory and leave all of that behind as they moved to the loser’s bracket to face Glendale Raymond S. Kellis in the double-elimination event on Saturday (May 10) at the Rose Mofford Sports Complex in Phoenix.
Fourth-seeded CDO did so in a big way, slamming a pair of home runs and getting a strong pitching performance from sophomore Gabrielle Blevins for a 7-1 victory to eliminate No. 8 Kellis.
CDO advances to the next round on Tuesday (May 13) and will face the loser of a winner’s bracket game between Glendale Cactus and Marana on Monday (May 12). All games are at Rose Mofford.
“Ironwood Ridge is always a big game for us, and we were shocked by the outcome,’’ said CDO Stephanie Nicholson.
“That didn’t make us change what we do in practice. We just had to come out and be ready to play.’’
Rebecca Ziegler hit a two-run homer to highlight a three-run first for the Dorados. CDO added three more in the fourth, two on a homer by Makenzie Sullivan. That was more than enough for Blevins, who shuttled between the varsity and junior-varsity during the regular season.
Blevins pitched a four-hitter and struck out six. She did not give up a hit after third inning.
“Gabby did a great job for us,’’ Nicholson said. “She kept their hitters off balance and used her drop ball very well.’’
“We have a good, balanced team. We have speedsters at the top of the lineup who can create chaos and we have good power.’’
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.