Top-seeded Greenway rolls in Division II baseball tourney
Originally published: May 9, 2014 - 12:00 am
Top-seeded Phoenix Greenway kept on rolling in the Division II state baseball tournament, pulling away for a 9-1 victory over No. 4 Nogales on Friday night (May 9) at Tempe Diablo Stadium.
Greenway will face second-seeded Tucson Sahuaro on Thursday (May 15) at 6:30 p.m. in the next round of the winner’s bracket at Maryvale Baseball Park in west Phoenix. Sahuaro advanced earlier Friday by escaping with an 8-7 victory in nine innings over No. 3 seed Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain.
Nogales slips into the loser’s bracket in the double-elimination tournament on Tuesday (May 13) and will face the winner of a Saturday (May 10) game between Cave Creek Cactus Shadows and Buckeye Verrado.
Due to the length of the Sahuaro-Bradshaw Mountain game, the Greenway-Nogales contest started at 7:30 p.m., about an hour past its originally scheduled time.
As he has all season, senior Tyler Frost led Greenway, on the mound and with the bat.
The right-hander scattered seven hits, and ripped a bases-loaded double to highlight a five-run fourth inning that pushed Greenway’s lead to 6-1. Third baseman Cody Wescott also provided a key hit in the inning with a two-run home run.
In the fifth, Greenway took advantage of some struggles by the Nogales starting pitcher. Greenway got an infield hit with one out, and that was followed by four straight walks. Kona Quiggle and Cole Anderson got credit for RBIs.
Greenway could have forced an early end to the game with the 10-run rule, but Nogales reliever Julio Vega came in to retire the final two men and left the bases loaded.
The Demons scored one more time in the sixth on a two-out double by Ben Aklinski.
Greenway finished with 10 hits. Frost also drove in the team’s first run in the third on a single to right that tipped off the edge of the glove by a leaping Nogales second baseman.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.