D-I softball: Chaparral knocks off Red Mtn. in Elite 8 round
Originally published: May 9, 2014 - 12:00 am
No. 7 Chaparral received the solid performance it expects from pitcher Dallas McBride and answered Red Mountain's tying rally with three runs in the fifth inning Thusday nigth to hand the four-time defending champs a 5-2 loss in the first-round of double-elimination play in the Division I state softball tournament at Rose Mofford Softball Complex.
Marisa Alemany and Hanna Mehok knocked in two runs each for Chaparral. Chaparral, the runner-up to Red Mountain last season, lost twice to Red Mountain in last year's tourney and has forced Red Mountain to come through the loser's bracket if it wants to claim a fifth straight state crown. McBride went the distance and struck out six. She also added two hits. Red Mountain left 11 runners on base. Bre Macha took the loss for Red Mountain and fanned six batters. Red Mountain faces Millennium on Saturday May 10 at 11:30 a.m. at Rose Mofford. Chaparral is idle until Tuesday March 12 when it faces No. 1 Gilbert at 6:30 p.m. at Rose Mofford.
GILBERT 9, XAVIER 0: The top-seeded Tigers got six-hit pitching from Lynsey Duncan and its top four hitters in the lineup supplied the punch in beating the No. 9 Gators. Alex Astorga, Emma Ocker, Dani Nelson and Taylor McCord combined to go 9-for-14 at the plate. Nelson knocked in four runs and Duncan drove in two with her only hit. Xavier faces Hamilton on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. in an elimination game at Rose Mofford. Gilbert faces Mountain Ridge in a battle of tournament unbeatens on Tuesday May 12 at 6:30 at Rose Mofford.
SANDRA DAY O'CONNOR 15, MILLENNIUM 5: Emilee Erickson, Hayley Busby and Gavyn Geradin collected three hits each to pace a 19-hit attack as the No. 3 Lady Eagles blasted the No. 11 Lady Tigers. SDO scored five run in the first and added eight in the third and closed the game out in the top of fifth due to the 10-run rule. Angelique Elemen homered twice and knocked in four runs for Millennium. Haley Wall got the win in the circle for SDO.
MOUNTAIN RIDGE 9, HAMILTON 2: Corrin Green homered and the No. 4 Lady Lions erupted for five runs in the fifth inning to defeat the 6th-seeded Lady Huskies. Six Mountain Ridge players collected at least two hits. Leading the way was Alyssa DiCarlo with three hits. Green, Taylor Kaye and Riley Seegan had two RBI apiece. Giselle Juarez went the distance and struck out seven to pick up the win.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.