D-I softball: Chaparral knocks off Red Mtn. in Elite 8 round
Originally published: May 9, 2014 - 12:00 am
No. 7 Chaparral received the solid performance it expects from pitcher Dallas McBride and answered Red Mountain's tying rally with three runs in the fifth inning Thusday nigth to hand the four-time defending champs a 5-2 loss in the first-round of double-elimination play in the Division I state softball tournament at Rose Mofford Softball Complex.
Marisa Alemany and Hanna Mehok knocked in two runs each for Chaparral. Chaparral, the runner-up to Red Mountain last season, lost twice to Red Mountain in last year's tourney and has forced Red Mountain to come through the loser's bracket if it wants to claim a fifth straight state crown. McBride went the distance and struck out six. She also added two hits. Red Mountain left 11 runners on base. Bre Macha took the loss for Red Mountain and fanned six batters. Red Mountain faces Millennium on Saturday May 10 at 11:30 a.m. at Rose Mofford. Chaparral is idle until Tuesday March 12 when it faces No. 1 Gilbert at 6:30 p.m. at Rose Mofford.
GILBERT 9, XAVIER 0: The top-seeded Tigers got six-hit pitching from Lynsey Duncan and its top four hitters in the lineup supplied the punch in beating the No. 9 Gators. Alex Astorga, Emma Ocker, Dani Nelson and Taylor McCord combined to go 9-for-14 at the plate. Nelson knocked in four runs and Duncan drove in two with her only hit. Xavier faces Hamilton on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. in an elimination game at Rose Mofford. Gilbert faces Mountain Ridge in a battle of tournament unbeatens on Tuesday May 12 at 6:30 at Rose Mofford.
SANDRA DAY O'CONNOR 15, MILLENNIUM 5: Emilee Erickson, Hayley Busby and Gavyn Geradin collected three hits each to pace a 19-hit attack as the No. 3 Lady Eagles blasted the No. 11 Lady Tigers. SDO scored five run in the first and added eight in the third and closed the game out in the top of fifth due to the 10-run rule. Angelique Elemen homered twice and knocked in four runs for Millennium. Haley Wall got the win in the circle for SDO.
MOUNTAIN RIDGE 9, HAMILTON 2: Corrin Green homered and the No. 4 Lady Lions erupted for five runs in the fifth inning to defeat the 6th-seeded Lady Huskies. Six Mountain Ridge players collected at least two hits. Leading the way was Alyssa DiCarlo with three hits. Green, Taylor Kaye and Riley Seegan had two RBI apiece. Giselle Juarez went the distance and struck out seven to pick up the win.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.