Softball: North Canyon's Boling too much for Mtn. Pointe
Originally published: May 3, 2014 - 12:00 am
Bianca Boling had a pretty fair day in helping North Canyon prevail in its Division I softball tournament opener Saturday morning at Mountain Pointe High School.
Boling homered and added a key three-run double in the seventh for needed insurance as the No. 21 Lady Rattlers defeated the the No. 12 Lady Pride, 7-4. Boling also pitched a complete game, surviving a three-run rally by Mountain Pointe in the bottom of the seventh. North Canyon moves on to the second round to face No. 5 Hamilton at Hamilton on Tuesday (May 6).
BOULDER CREEK 9, MESA MOUNTAIN VIEW 7: Briana Binns singled in the tie-breaking run in the fifth inning as the No. 13 Lady Jaguars rallied past the No. 20 Lady Toros at Boulder Creek. Boulder Creek scored five runs in the first to take a 5-2 lead only to see Mountain View battle back for a 7-5 lead in the fifth. Brinns also went the distance in the circle to earn the win. Boulder Creek scored four times in the sixth to rally from a 7-5 deficit. A two-run triple by Aubrey Ledbetter tied the game prior to Binns' hit. Maddie Daigneau added another RBI single for an insurance run heading to the final inning. Matty Roberts drove in two runs for Mountain View. Boulder Creek advances to play at No. 4 Mountain Ridge in the next round.
XAVIER 6, DESERT MOUNTAIN 5: Karlee Johnson singled home the winning run in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the No. 9 Gators a narrow win over the No. 24 Lady Wolves at Xavier. Xavier blew a 5-0 lead after three innings. Desert Mountain's Sammy Rea spearheaded the rally hitting a two-run homer and netting a third RBI after being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the next inning. Samantha Sydenham hit a two-run homer for Xavier and Madison Wagner added a two-run single. Xavier moves on to face No. 8 Horizon in the next round.
PINNACLE 7, WILLOW CANYON 3: The No. 15 Lady Pioneers scored five runs in the first inning and went on to eliminate the No. 18 Willows at Pinnacle. Kori Gahn drove in three runs to pace Pinnacle's offense and Bailey Brennan scattered five hits to earn the victory in the circle. Pinnacle moves on to the second round to face four-time defending state champ and No. 2 seed Red Mountain.
CORONA DEL SOl 10, PERRY 1: The No. 19 Aztecs avenged last season's heart-breaking, tournament loss by pounding the No. 14 Lady Pumas at Perry. Corona lost a 2-1, 12-inning contest in the opening round to Perry last season. Corona advances to the next round to face No. 3 Sandra Day O 'Connor on the road.
In other D-I first-round games -- No. 17 Desert Vista knocked off No. 16 Highland; 4-1; No. 11 Millennium topped No. 22 Skyline, 14-4 and No. 10 Desert Ridge blanked No. 23 Westview, 14-0.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.