Five legends to join Arizona HS Coaches Hall of Fame
Originally published: Apr 29, 2014 - 12:00 am
The newest members of the Arizona High School Athletic Coaches Hall of Fame are granted about three minutes to give their induction speeches.
But it’s a rule that coaching legends are allowed to break and often do. And who can blame them?
Encapsulating their decades of success and thanking countless folks who helped the former and current coaches reach one of the in-state’s coaching pinnacles takes time and sometimes some tears. On Sunday, five coaches, Glenn Alford, Joseph Ehlers, Timothy Sanford, Kyle Sawyer, and Miner Webster, rightfully get their turn to take their time to bask in the moment they earned.
The 31st annual AHSACHOF ceremony will be held at the Phoenix Elks Lodge from noon to about 3 p.m. The event is open to the public and costs $30.
Nominated by Tim McBurney
Years coaching: 33, including 23 as an assistant.
Head coaching won-loss record: From 1972 to 1982 at Tempe High Alford went 99-8-1 (990 winning percentage). He won two team titles and teams finished runner-up three times. He also coached 14 state champions and 20 state placers.
Nominated by David Cruickshank
Years coaching: 47, including 31 as an assistant at South Mountain and Trevor Browne, where he also served as head coach.
Head coaching won-loss record: 149-11 (93 winning percentage). Won three state titles (1970, 1972, 1974) and teams finished runner-up three times.
Timothy J. Sanford
Years coaching: 18 at Brophy and 18 as an assistant at Paradise Valley, Moon Valley and St. Mary’s.
Head coaching won-loss record: 128-79-2 (.618 win percentage). Sanford’s 1996 and 1998 Brophy teams were state runner-ups and program reached postseason 12 times.
Boys cross country
Nominated by Robbie Roberson
Years coaching: 31 as head coach and 29 as an assistant.
Head coaching won-loss record: 1,086-104 (95 win percentage). Won state championships at Westwood (1990, 1991, 1993-96), Dobson (1997), and Mesa Mountain View (2004). Teams also finished runner-up six times.
Years coaching: Current Highland girls 20-year basketball coach. Also spent five years at Gilbert.
Head coaching win-loss record: 712-107 (87 win percentage). Webster is 8-1 in state title games and has won 20 region/division championships.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.