Firebirds top Mountain View 1-0 in baseball pitching duel
Originally published: Apr 24, 2014 - 12:00 am
From the ceremonial first toss by a 94-year-old fan to the final out of the game, Thursday’s (April 24) Division I baseball game between visiting Mesa Mountain View and Scottsdale Chaparral was all about pitching.
Mountain View right-hander Nolan Ross gave up three hits and walked two and Chaparral right-hander Collin Gabel gave up two hits and walked three.
Chaparral scratched out an unearned run in the second inning and made it hold up for a 1-0 triumph in the crisp contest that lasted just shy of 90 minutes.
Chaparral, No. 2 in power points entering the day, raised its record to 23-3. No. 5 Mountain View, which had won six games in a row, slipped to 19-10.
“I was talking to Coach (Mike) Thiel (Mountain View) just now (after the game), and I agree with what he said: “That was a good performance by two very good pitchers against two very good offensive teams,’ ’’ said Chaparral coach Sam Messina.
“That we were able to get out front with a run took some of the pressure off, but their kid (Ross) did a great job against us.’’
Messina also gave credit to Gabel for his solid pitching effort as well as his approach at the plate. He did not get a hit, but hit the ball on the nose a couple of times.
“He’s in a good place right now,’’ Messina said.
In the bottom of the second inning, Chaparral leadoff man Tanner Bollig reached base on an infield error. He advanced to third on a base hit by Gage Hampton and scored on a fielder’s choice grounder by Gabe Hamilton.
Chaparral appeared it might be setting itself up for an insurance run in the fifth when Hamilton hit a double with one out, but Ross escaped further trouble.
“It’s good to play games like these down the stretch,’’ Messina said. “You can’t take anything for granted.’’
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.