Originally published: Apr 13, 2014 - 12:00 am
Copper Canyon: Stat leaders — Senior Stephen Merritt (.372 ave., 12 RBI), Carlos Collantes (.315 ave., 20 runs, 15 RBIs, 3-1 with 3.12 ERA), Junior Rudy Gonzales (.460 ave., 18 runs, 25 RBI, 4-1 with .93 ERA and 48 K’s in 30 IP), Junior Marcos Navarrete (.395 ave, 18 runs, 4-0, 2.85 ERA). … “Our team is an extremely close-knit group of guys,” coach Justin Lewis said. “They have formed a real brotherhood. I believe that those relationships help us. The guys trust each other, which helps us play team ball. We are not dependent on just one guy. Everyone has stepped up at one point or another in the season. It has been fun to watch guys come through with the big hit or make a key play on the field.”
Greenway: Stat leaders — Sean Wagner (.489 ave., 20 RBI, 5 HR), Alejo Lopez (.480 ave., 14 RBI, 5 HR), Cody Wescott (.422 ave., 19 runs, 19 hits), Tyler Frost .431 ave., 17 runs, 24 RBIs, 4 HR). … Pitching stat leaders: Frost (4-1, .66 ERA, 32 innings, 38 K’s, 7 BB, 3 ER), Zach McLeod (.30 ERA, 3-0, 23 IP, 22 K’s, 1 ER, 5 BB), Cody Wescott (1.28 ERA, 6-0, 28 IP, 34 SO, 8 BB, 7 ER).
River Valley: “We have had an up and down season,” coac Aaron LaCasse said. “When we are good it’s because we are taking care of the ball and throwing strikes. When we lose it’s because our defense struggles.” … Senior Tyler Scully is batting .558 (29 for 52, 23 RBI’s).
Tempe Prep: Team was 15-4-1 overall, 11-1 in power ranking games and 6-0 in its section. … “We depend on our team speed for a lot of our offense,” coach said. “We don’t have a lot of pop in our lineup, just enough to keep you honest, but we have stolen over 100 bases. We play aggressive and hard nosed. We are not as talented as the elite teams in the division, so we have to play strong fundamental baseball in order to be successful.” … Senior OF Hayden Harden (.612 ave., 24 stolen bases), Junior catcher Max Dallyn (.534 ave., 17 stolen bases),
Tombstone: Senior Chris Gonzales (.436 ave., 23 runs, .615 slugging percentage), senior Cody Lopez (.415 ave.), sophomore Dillon Dahl (.404 ave.), and freshman Daniel Gonzales (.400) are the leaders at the plate. … “Our biggest strength on the year has been our defense and pitching, which have both improved much since the beginning of the year,” coach James Milligan said. “Our defense is led by Chris Gonzales in CF and Daniel Gonzales, our utility infielder who can play every position except 1B. At 1B, Harrison Heeren has an almost perfect fielding percentage, having committed only one error on the year.”
Williams: “I have a group of seniors who have played together since they were back in Little League,” coach Phillip Echeverria said. “I have eight seniors total, with six in the starting lineup.” … Senior OF/RHP Kohl Nixon is hitting .515 with 15 extra base hits, 31 RBI, 34 runs, and 19 SB. Nixon is 7-0 with a 1.46 ERA and 61 K’s in 48 innings on the mound. … Senior C/RHP Joaquin Salaz is hitting .417 with 17 extra base hits, 22 RBI, 32 runs, 14 SB. On he mound he is 3-2 with a 1.75 ERA and 43 K’s in 36 innings. … “The key to our success has been stepping up in clutch situations, whether it be at the plate or on the field,” Echeverria said. “Playing tougher competition also is helping out.” … Johnny Hatcher, the brother of former MLB and Williams native Billy Hatcher, is the co-head coach at Williams. … “If these athletes play for each other for the remainder of the year, then we have had an excellent season.”
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.