Sandra Day O'Connor puts fun in softball fundamentals
Originally published: Apr 10, 2014 - 12:00 am
Walk-off home runs and no-hitters are nice, but they are rare for a softball team. More often than not, the keys to success are making certain to do the little things right.
That is the philosophy that Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor coach Melissa Hobson is trying to instill in her players.
“We try to work on the little things in practice every day,’’ she said. “The game is not cut and dried. You have to try to anticipate what the next play is going to be. You have to be able to react.’’
The Eagles did a good job of putting those elements into motion on Thursday (April 10), earning a 6-2 road victory over Anthem Boulder Creek.
O’Connor, sixth in Division I power points, boosted its record to 18-4. No. 16 Boulder Creek slipped to 13-6.
“Evah (Taylor, Boulder Creek coach) is building a good program, so to come up here and be able to win is a good thing for us,’’ Hobson said.
As strong as Boulder Creek and other opponents are, O’Connor is concerned more with the things it is doing.
“We want to work on our game, play O’Connor softball,’’ Hobson said.
Boulder Creek took a 1-0 lead in the first inning with the help of an error, but the Eagles took a 2-1 lead in the top of the third on a two-run double into the gap in left-center field by Madison Westmoreland.
O’Connor scored a run in each of the next four innings.
Freshman Emma Vesely did a good job in the pitching circle for O’Connor, scattering 10 hits. She got help from her defense. Just about every time she got in a jam, her defense would bail her out.
It was just another example of doing the little things right.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.