MaxPreps 2013-14 National Boys Basketball Player of the Year: Stanley Johnson
Originally published: Apr 8, 2014 - 12:00 am
He hasn't graduated yet, but the 6-foot-6, 225-pound senior is featured on the school's "Notable Alumni" list on Wikipedia.
And that's not just any alumni list. Mater Dei has produced athletic greats like Matt Barkley, 1960 Heisman Trophy winner John Huarte, 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Matt Leinart, UConn women's great Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis and Miles Simon.
2014 MaxPreps POY Stanley Johnson
But no need to wait for a player that helped the school win four state titles, was the MaxPreps National Junior of the Year in 2012-13 and today earns the title of 2013-14 MaxPreps National Boys Basketball Player of the Year.
The Monarchs went 135-7 during Johnson's four years in the program. The SoCal star (who Twitter handle is @StanMan_41) capped his career by leading Mater Dei to a 35-0 record and the No. 1 national ranking in the final MaxPreps Xcellent 25.
As a senior, Johnson averaged 25 points, 8.1 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.4 steals per game to carry a rotation that included three juniors, two sophomores and a freshman through a rugged schedule. The Monarchs beat five eventual state champions and went 9-0 against teams that played for a state title.
Signature performances include outings of 29 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists against Trinity League rival St. John Bosco (Bellflower) in early February and 38 points and 14 rebounds in a playoff contest against Etiwanda.
He also put up 27 points, nine rebounds and six assists in a showdown victory against Jahlil Okafor and Whitney Young (Chicago) at the Nike Extravaganza.
Johnson – tabbed as the No. 3 prospect in the 2014 class by the 247Sports Composite – will continue his career in 2014-15 at Arizona. He earned a spot in the McDonald's All-American Game and will play in the Jordan Brand Classic at Barclays Center later this month.
Continue on in the slideshow to see more photos of Johnson this season
Past MaxPreps National Players of the Year
2013 – Jabari Parker, Simeon (Chicago)
2012 – Kyle Anderson, St. Anthony (Jersey City, N.J.)
2011 – Austin Rivers, Winter Park (Fla.)
2010 – Harrison Barnes, Ames (Iowa)
2009 – Derrick Favors, South Atlanta (Ga.)
2008 – Brandon Jennings, Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.)
2007 – Kevin Love, Lake Oswego (Ore.)
2006 – Greg Oden, Lawrence North (Indianapolis)
Johnson finished his career in the discussion about the best players ever in California.
Johnson played multiple positions during his tenure at Mater Dei.
Johnson's four state titles, shown here in chronological order.
Johnson fights through two Neumann Goretti defenders at the Spalding Hoophall Classic in Massachusetts.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.