No timeout? No matter for Greenway baseball in 7-2 victory
Originally published: Apr 4, 2014 - 12:00 am
There are times when an umpire’s best call is the one he doesn’t make.
That is how the baseball team from Phoenix Greenway had to look at it on Friday (April 4).
With the score tied at 2, two men out and a runner at second against host Scottsdale Saguaro in the top of the sixth inning, Greenway pinch-hitter Cody Fisher asked the umpire for time.
Fisher apparently asked too late, his request was not granted and he had to face the music.
The pitch came and he punched it up the middle for a run-scoring single to break the tie. Greenway went on to score two more runs in the inning and added two more in the top of the seventh for good measure for a 7-2 victory.
Greenway, second in Division II power points entering the day, climbed to 13-2 and Saguaro, No. 5 in points, slipped to 15-4.
Meanwhile, Greenway senior ace right-hander Tyler Frost was on target most of the way. He gave up just one hit, struck out five, walked two and hit two batters. He threw 84 pitches.
“Our guys kept their composure. Their guy (left-handed pitcher Nick Meservey) has a good arm and he is competitive,’’ said Greenway coach Matt Denny.
“We knew we would be in for a good, tough match. We called it a “tester.’ We knew we were going to have to play well.’’
Saguaro got to Denny for a 2-0 lead in the second inning on a two-run double by Stephen Gifford over the right fielder’s head. Greenway tied it with two in the fourth.
Denny was pleased with the way Denny avoided some potential jams.
“Tyler left the ball up a little, but there weren’t many mistakes. I was impressed with his composure,’’ Denny said.
This is Frost’s fourth and final year as a varsity pitcher, but it seems like he has been around a lot longer than that.
“He pitched a little bit as a freshman, and then he got beat up as a sophomore,’’ Denny said. “It seems strange to say, but that might have been good for him. In the middle of his sophomore year, he started to come into his own. He had 30-something scoreless innings in 2012.’’
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.