Softball: Gilbert comes from behind to edge Basha
Originally published: Mar 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
Gilbert hasn't posted many come-from-behind victories this season among its 13 victories. The Lady Tigers got one Thursday against a team it's had a tough time defeating recently.
Taylor McCord's infield single in the sixth inning snapped a 4-4 tie and lifted Gilbert to a 5-4 triumph over Basha in a Division I softball game at Gilbert High.Gilbert and Basha entered the contest unbeaten in their power-ranking games. Gilbert is now 13-5 overall and 6-0 in prg. Basha dropped to 11-4, 4-1.
"We haven't won many games like this so it's going to help the girls confidence going forward," Gilbert coach Shaundra Gutierrez said. "We've gone back and forth with Basha in the past. Last year we had no wins against them."
Gilbert started its winning rally in the bottom of the sixth against Basha reliever Lynea Klemmedson. Leadoff hitter Alex Astorga's third hit of the day opened the inning. Emma Ocker sacrificed Astorga to second and Dani Nelson's ground out to the right side moved Astorga to third. McCord then lined a 1-0 pitch at Klemmedson and off her glove. The ball trickled up the middle near second base with no play being made and Astorga scoring.
Four Gilbert players collected multiple hits led by Astorga and Dani Bartholf with three each and McCord and Lynsey Duncan two apiece.Gilbert tied the game at 4 in the fifth with a wild pitch scoring McCord, who opened the inning with a single.
"We've had players in the middle to the bottom do a nice job hitting," Gutierrez said. "They've picked us up a couple times this season."
On a day defenses needed to be sharp -- both were -- Gilbert managed to bounce back from a 3-1 deficit after three innings and a 4-3 deficit heading to the last of the fifth. Basha freshman pitcher Kelley Bourne faced off against Gilbert mainstay Duncan. Bourne and Klemmedson did not register a strikeout and Duncan had just two so there were plenty of plays to be made.
The only error Gilbert made (that both teams made) -- a dropped throw at first base -- helped ignite Basha's three-run third. .Brittany Medina, Nicole Matta and Brooke Breland knocked in the runs for Basha. A baserunning error ended up the third out of the frame and may have prevented a bigger rally.
Basha retook the lead in the fifth on Hailey Maher's triple that scored Brielle Breland. Gilbert cut down a second run at the plate in the inniing as an attemped squeeze was thwarted with a quick reaction and throw by Duncan to McCord. Maher, Medina and Aubrie Dunham had two hits each for Basha.
Gilbert enjoyed a 3-0 week with wins over Highland and Mesa High prior to Basha. Basha plays its third game of the week on Friday (March 28) visiting Betty Fairfax. Basha edged Chandler on Tuesday after finishing runner-up last Saturday in the consolation bracket of the Desert Mountain Invitational.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.