Softball: Four teams 3-0 at Desert Mtn. Invite after Day 3
Originally published: Mar 20, 2014 - 12:00 am
A day of routs ensued Thursday on Day 3 of the Desert Mountain Softball Invitational and along with those lopsided results four teams remain with 3-0 records.
The first to achieve a 3-0 mark was four-time defending Division I state champion Red Mountain in a late afternoon contest vs. Mountain Pointe. Red Mountain knocked off Mountain Pointe, 14-0. The game was tight heading to the fifth inning, but a rash of Mountain Pointe errors (eight) and Red Mountain's bats coming to life busted it open. Red Mountain collected 15 hits for the game and scored four times in the fifth and nine times in the sixth.
Red Mountain's Bre Macha fired a two-hitter and struck out 11 in going the distance. Macha also added four hits and two RBI. Alex Wiley added three hits and four RBI, Jordan Beck three hits and three RBI, including a long two-run homer and leadoff hitter Alyssa Fernandez had two hits and scored three times.
Joining Red Mountain at 3-0 after the final round of late games Thursday night were Hamilton, Mountain Ridge and Chaparral. Hamilton got a five-inning perfect game from freshman Sammy Martinez in blanking Notre Dame Prep, 10-0. Hamilton has outscored its three opponents 38-2. Hamilton faces the only other unbeaten team in the tournamen that's not 3-0 -- 2-0 Sahuaro on Friday. Hamilton's three opponents so far in the tournament are 1-8.
Mountain Ridge dealt Gilbert its first loss, 6-1. Mountain Ridge concludes non-bracket play Friday against Highland. Chaparral posted a third successive shutout, blanking Arcadia, 12-0. Chaparral tangles with Canyon del Oro on Friday. Chaparral's trio of opponents are 0-8.
Eight of the 11 games played Thursday were decided by eight runs or more. Friday is the final day of non-bracket play with 15 games to be played beginning at noon and followed by contests at 2, 4 and 6 p.m. Brackets for Saturday will be computed at the conclusion of Friday's 6 p.m. games.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.