Eight teams 2-0 after Day 2 of Desert Mtn. Softball Invite
Originally published: Mar 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Red Mountain's Savannah Kirkpatrick delivered a long sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh Wednesday night to give the Lady Lions a 4-3 victory over Canyon del Oro on Day 2 of the Desert Mountain Softball Invitational at Horizon Park.
Red Mountain is one of eight teams sporting 2-0 tournament records after the second day of non-bracket play. Gilbert High added its name to the list late Wednesday with a game-winning hit in the bottom of the seventh as well. Dani Nelson's bases-loaded double scored three runs to give Gilbert a 4-3 victory over Horizon. Horizon had rallied from a 1-0 deficit with three runs in the sixth inning. The 1-1 tie was snapped by bases-loaded walks to Gabby Moreno and T Statman issued by Gilbert reliever Taylor McCord. McCord pitched the final three innings and picked up the win.
Other teams moving to 2-0 on Wednesday were: Sahuaro, Chaparral, Mountain Ridge, Mountain Pointe, Hamilton and Desert Mountain. Sahuaro won twice taking down Chandler 7-1 and Mesa High, 10-0. Chaparral also played its first two games with shutouts over Cactus 5-0 and Seton, 13-0. Mountain Pointe got a walk-off hit to edge Arcadia, 10-9; Mountain Ridge tripped Ironwood Ridge, 9-5; Hamilton crushed Paradise Valley, 17-2 and Desert Mountain rocked Betty Fairfax, 18-3. The other unbeaten team at 1-0 is Notre Dame, which was idle on Wednesday.
Non-bracket play continues Thursday and Friday with brackets for Saturday's final day set shortly after the completion of games Friday around 8:30 p.m.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.