Ironwood High grad is the latest U.S. Olympic hockey hero
Originally published: Mar 16, 2014 - 12:00 am
Congratulations are in order for Arizona’s latest Olympic star, Josh Sweeney.
Sweeney, a graduate of Glendale Ironwood High and a former U.S. Marine, scored the game-winning goal for Team USA in a 1-0 ice sledge hockey win over Russia as the Americans and captured the gold medal in the Paralympic Games in Sochi, Russia.
For Sweeney, who was injured by an improvised explosive device while serving as a Marine, it was one of the most memorable moments of his life.
“It’s good for them (fellow Marines) to see that my life is not over,’’ Sweeney told USA Today Sports.
“Just like we won the gold medal here and we’re going to be a tight-knit group for a long time, it’s the same when you are in the Marine Corps with your unit.’’
Sweeney and his teammates and all those continuing to serve in our Armed Forces around the world are today’s true heroes.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.