Chaparral legend, Dawson, gets hall of fame nod
Originally published: Mar 4, 2014 - 12:00 am
The state’s all-time leader in high school baseball victories is getting called up by the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame.
The Phoenix Regional Sports Commission announced Tuesday that Jerry Dawson, a former military policeman turned Scottsdale Chaparral baseball coach, is part of the 44th Arizona Sports Hall of Fame class. The four-member class will be feted during the April 16 induction ceremony at the Pera Pavilion in Tempe.
It took him more than 15 years to win his first of eight titles at Chaparral, but once he won his first, Dawson got on a roll. He also won 774 games.
The National High School Baseball Coaches Association Hall of Fame inductee coached for 37 seasons — all at Chaparral. For more information on the Arizona Sports Hall of Fame ceremony, go here.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.