D-II boys: Shadow Mountain runs past Flagstaff for title
Originally published: Mar 1, 2014 - 12:00 am
No. 8 Shadow Mountain waited a little more than a quarter Saturday afternoon to make its victory over No. 3 Flagstaff a mute point. And prove -- perhaps it should have been No. 1 all along.
The Matadors (29-3) notched the third state title in school history with a routine 83-58 victory over the Eagles from the north at Jobing.com Arena. Shadow Mountain previously won titles in 1996 and 2000. Mike Bibby was acting head coach officially on Saturday as head coach Jerry Connor was out of town for the funeral of a relative.
Shadow Mountain's sophomore trio of Michael Bibby Jr., JJ Rhymes and Carlos Johnson each scored in double figures by halftime Shadow Mountain (29-3) ran out to a 46-26 lead at intermission. Shadow Mountain maintained a large lead throughout the second half with no real threat of a comeback from Flagstaff (27-4).
Bibby Jr. finished with 27 points and eight assists, Johnson had 26 points and 11 rebounds and Rhymes chipped in with 17 points. Shadow Mountain shot 47 percent from the floor in the first half and used a 26-12 edge in the second period to break the game open. The Matadors for the game, made 52 percent of its shots.
Flagstaff's Trevor Johnson, who scored the game-winning basket in the semfinal overtime victory over Tempe High, led the Eagles with 20 points and Conner Estes had 15. Flagstaff was seeking its first boys basketball title since an unbeaten season in 1975.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.