D-III boys hoops: V. Christian, Y. Catholic, Show Low win
Originally published: Feb 26, 2014 - 12:00 am
No. 3 Yuma Catholic got clutch all-around play in the fourth quarter from guard Carter Rodriguez to cap a huge rally Wednesday and knock off No. 6 Combs, 76-72, in Divison III boys basketball quarterfinal at Tim;s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley.
Rodriguez, who sat out half the third period after picking up his fourth foul, managed to avoid a fifth foul in the final period and lead the Shamrocks to the semifinals. Rodriguez netted 22 points and found a way to fee post Matt Pistone inside for baskets. Pistone finished with 21 points. Julian Jones (16 points) and Treyshon Malone (10) added production off the bench.
The game was tied at 70 with 51 seconds left when Rodriguez made a three-point play on a drive to the basket for a 73-70 lead. He added three more free throws to shut down Combs in the final seconds.
Combs (23-10) was led by Sherron Brooks 24 points, 13 of which came in the first period when Combs raced to a 25-10 lead late in the quarter. Drew Johnson and Nate Duhaney added 13 points for Combs. Carter Aby also reached double figures with 11.
Yuma Catholic (22-4) moves on to the semifinals on Friday (Feb. 28) to face Valley Christian, a 54-49 winner over Tuba City at 4:30 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
VALLEY CHRISTIAN 54, TUBA CITY 49: While close to the very end, No. 2 Valley Christian's a 16-5 edge in the second period allowed it to take the lead for good and outlast No. 10 Tuba City behind the combined 44 points of seniors TJ Widner, Brandon Haagsma and Cory Kasperson.
Valley Christiain took better than a quarter to establish its inside game with Widner (17 points), who scored 11 points in the second period and struggled with foul trouble the rest of the way. Haagsma (14 points) sank four of VC's six 3s, including two big ones in the final period. Kasperson (13 points) had a put back and four free throws in the final 33 seconds to salt away the victory
Valley Christian (23-8) had its biggest lead, 33-24, with 3:35 left in the third period. Tuba City gradually cut the margin pulling to within 39-37 thanks to a 10-point fourth quarter by Tuba's Tyler Johnson. Tyler Johnson and Christian Begody led Tuba City (27-5) with 12 points each. Tristin Begay added 11.
"TJ wasn't real active in the first quarter and we ended up taking shots from outside," Valley Christian coach Greg Haagsma said. "We moved Brandon to the middle and kept TJ in the low block. That's where he was most effective. I think the second quarter was where the game was won.",
Haagsman and Widner average 30 points a game between them and they were spot on netting 31 between them. A fourth senior starter for VC, Zach Wolf, scored on a pair of strong drives to the basket for important fourth-quarter points. Those were his lone points of the game.
SHOW LOW 61, BENSON 48: No. 5 Show Low outscored No. 4 Benson, 38-19, in the second half to reverse a haltime deficit and win going away.
Show Low's Sean Potter scored 17 of his game-high 24 points in the second half and made 8 of 10 free throws to pace the Cougars rally from a 29-23 halftime deficit. Jackson Jessop added 13 points and Sam Tate had 12 points.
Show Low (23-12) advances to the semifinals Friday (Feb. 28) to face either Chinle or Cortez at 8 p.m. at Jobing.com Arena.
Benson (26-5) was led by Sean Brogan with 18 points, including three 3s. Dante Britton finished with 10, but did not score in the second half off the bench for the Bobcats.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.