Buckeye girls stick together, move on to D-II hoops semis
Originally published: Feb 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
The girls’ basketball team from Buckeye High has been successful this season by sticking together as a unit, with a one-for-all, all-for-one mentality.
The Hawks are going to need to play the same way as they approach their biggest game of the year.
With a 39-29 victory over Kingman in Tuesday’s (Feb. 25) Division II quarterfinals at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, 12th-seeded Buckeye advances to Thursday’s (Feb. 27) semifinals against the No. 1 seed, Chandler Seton Catholic. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
“They (Seton) are a good team and we’re going to have to come out and play hard,’’ said Buckeye coach Regina Early.
The coach added that Buckeye (27-4) controlled 13th-seeded Kingman (18-4) “with our defense, the girls staying together and rebounding.’’
The Hawks struggled in the rebounding department early in the season, but have done a much better job in the second half, Early said.
Buckeye had success against Kingman with the inside-outside combination of post player Allies Fuller and guard Baylee Wirtzberger. They both scored 17 points, and Wirtzberger connected on a pair of 3-point shots.
Buckeye led by nine points at the end of the first quarter and eight at halftime. The lead increased to 12 with a pair of early baskets in the third period, but Kingman appeared as it was going to make a run with three straight baskets, one by Taylor Reed and two by Alison Owen.
Fuller than scored off an inbounds pass and converted a 3-point play, and Wirtzberger hit a 3 to get the lead back up to double digits.
Another key individual effort came from Buckeye point guard Dallas Jones.
She managed just one point, but was very instrumental in running the offense with her passing, and she played good defense by knocking the ball away on several occasions.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.