Buckeye girls stick together, move on to D-II hoops semis
Originally published: Feb 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
The girls’ basketball team from Buckeye High has been successful this season by sticking together as a unit, with a one-for-all, all-for-one mentality.
The Hawks are going to need to play the same way as they approach their biggest game of the year.
With a 39-29 victory over Kingman in Tuesday’s (Feb. 25) Division II quarterfinals at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale, 12th-seeded Buckeye advances to Thursday’s (Feb. 27) semifinals against the No. 1 seed, Chandler Seton Catholic. Tipoff is 6 p.m.
“They (Seton) are a good team and we’re going to have to come out and play hard,’’ said Buckeye coach Regina Early.
The coach added that Buckeye (27-4) controlled 13th-seeded Kingman (18-4) “with our defense, the girls staying together and rebounding.’’
The Hawks struggled in the rebounding department early in the season, but have done a much better job in the second half, Early said.
Buckeye had success against Kingman with the inside-outside combination of post player Allies Fuller and guard Baylee Wirtzberger. They both scored 17 points, and Wirtzberger connected on a pair of 3-point shots.
Buckeye led by nine points at the end of the first quarter and eight at halftime. The lead increased to 12 with a pair of early baskets in the third period, but Kingman appeared as it was going to make a run with three straight baskets, one by Taylor Reed and two by Alison Owen.
Fuller than scored off an inbounds pass and converted a 3-point play, and Wirtzberger hit a 3 to get the lead back up to double digits.
Another key individual effort came from Buckeye point guard Dallas Jones.
She managed just one point, but was very instrumental in running the offense with her passing, and she played good defense by knocking the ball away on several occasions.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.