Cienega is in the semis for the 1st time
Originally published: Feb 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
It took a while for the stage fright to dissipate, but when it did, Cienega was off and running.
Besides shaking off the nerves, Cienega also had to fight off a pesky Cibola team Tuesday that was ahead during the majority of the first half. But near the end of the first half is when Cienaga started to assert itself and didn’t relinquish the lead again en route to a 62-45 win at Jobing.com Arena.
The victory advanced Cienega to the Division II state semifinals for the first time in the program’s 12-year history.
“I think the girls were a little bit nervous in the beginning,” Cienega head coach Paul Reed said. “This was the first time we were on this stage. We had to let the nerves settle. Cibola is a well-coached team and was aggressive.”
The lights will get a bit brighter for Cienega (25-1) on Thursday, when Reed’s team plays the D-II defending champ, Saguaro, at Jobing.com with a state championship berth at stake.
The fairly young Cienega team is athletic and quick and prefers to run up and down the court with its guards just as it did at the start the second half, when it converted four of its first five second half shots. Cienega also starts an outside shooting threat in senior Gabby Banales, who tied a season high with 17 points Tuesday, including going 4 for 7 from 3-point land.
Cibola’s Malakah Jackson also scored 17 points. Kelaiah Dillard and Denesia Smith scored a combined 25 points for Cienega, which is the first basketball team — boys or girls — to reach the state semifinals for that school.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- Station Casino's Co-Founder and UFC Chairman and CEO Lorenzo Fertitta - Saturday August 23Lorenzo Fertitta talks about sponsoring the Sollenberger Classic and the UFC coming to Phoenix.
- AIA Director of Business Media Brian Bolitho - Saturday August 23Brian Bolitho talks about the importance and growth of the Sollenberger Classic.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.