D-II girls hoops: Saguaro dominates Peoria to reach semis
Originally published: Feb 25, 2014 - 12:00 am
Saguaro bolted to a 9-0 in the first three minutes Tuesday afternoon and went on to elimiinate No. 18 Peoria, 60-45, in the Division II girls basketball quarterfinals at Jobing.com Arena.
Saguaro (25-7), the No. 10 seed this year and defending state champion, advances to Thursday's (Feb. 27) semifinals where it will meet the Cienega-Cibola winner at 2:30 p.m. at Jobing.com. Arena. Peoria, which won two close early round games, finished the season 23-8.
"We had a different energy level and I think our experience showed," Saguaro coach Chris Young said. "It's taken us awhile to get to where we want to be this year. We're playing pretty well right now."
Saguaro was led by senior guard Casey Rarrick and junior guard Jelani Huma. Rarrick scored a game-high 20 points and heated in the second half after a cold-shooting first half. Rarrick made 4-of-6 shots in the second half, Three of them were 3s. She made 5 3s for the game. Huma helped Saguaro start fast, scoring 11 of her 15 points in the first half. Amber Rollins added nine points in a reserve role.
Saguaro never trailed in the game and on a couple occasions when Peoria made runs to cut double-digit leads to six, Saguaro answered by beating Peoria in transition or by getting open looks on 3s and making them. Peoria's second run in the third period pulled the Panthers within 37-31, but a 9-2 burst to end the quarter essentially finished Peoria's chance at victory.
Senior guard Alexis Camacho led Peoria with 16 points and teammate Taylor Blue added 14 points.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.