D-I, II wrestling: Mesa Mtn. View, Cibola take home titles
Originally published: Feb 22, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View captured its second title in school history (Division I) and Cibola nabbed its first ever title (Division II) on Saturday night (Feb. 22) easily outdistancing defending champ Sunnyside, and Cienega, respectively, at the D-I and D-II state wrestling tournaments at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley.
Mountain View, coached by Bob Callison, won for the first time since 2001 and claimed two individual titles -- senior Ryan Gallo (138-pounds) and junior Blake Monty (145). The Toros added three runner-up finishers -- sophomore Paden Mason (113) and juniors Weston Taylor (160) and Kieffer Taylor (170) Freshman Merritt Taylor, brother of twins Weston and Kieffer Taylor, took third at 120. Rounding out the nine state-placers for the Toros are Cayman Nielson (5th at 152), McKay Huber (6th at 220) and Alex Garcia (5th at 285). Mountain View finished with 197 points followed the next four places by Sunnyside (142), Boulder Creek (127), Corona del Sol (115.5) and Ironwood Ridge (100.5).
Cibola took home a title trophy after two recent runner-up finishes -- second in 2008 in 5A-II and second in Division I (2012). Cibola came away with three individual champs -- Luis Nunez (132), Pierre Gaud (160) and Vicente Guerrero (170). Guad also won an individual title wrestling at 145 in 2012. The Raiders had six more wrestlers place -- Alexander Juarez (3rd at 113), Andres Gandara (3rd at 138), Josh Olson (5th at 120), Martin Martinez 5th at 145), Jonathen Arviso (5th at 152) and Simon Jacuinde (6th at 220). Cibola's winning team total was 169. The Raiders were followed by Cienega and Marana Mountain View at 100.5, Prescott 86 and Liberty 80.
Repeating as state champs in Division I: Sunnyside's Juaqin Olivas (120), William Olivas (126) and Gabriel Gonzalex (195), Corona del Sol's Ethan Tursini (160) and Basha's Trey Ronayne. Denied back-to-back titles were Valley Vista's Jacob Reyes, who lost to Juaqin Olivas and Corona del Sol's Glenn Farina, upended by Gallo, 4-3, and Mountain Ridge's Michael Suwyn, beaten at 152 by Chandler's Dajour Reece. Winning titles for a second straight year in D-II: Gila Ridge's Nathan Mendivil (106), Deer Valley's Jacob Swift (138) and Sahuaro's Kyle Jividen (285). Sunrise Mountain's Antonio Perez denied Goldwater's Troy Vandall of a second title in succession taking a 3-1 win in overtime at 145.
Other wrestlers winning individual crowns In D-I: Maryvale's Alejandro Calderon (113), Mesa's Brett Kasprzyk (132), Centennial's Lewis Arendall (220) and Mesa's Robert Schrock (285). Others winning titles in D-II: Glendale's Sergio Hernandez-Gomez (113), Desert Edge's Joshua Kramer (120); Gila Ridge's Kyle Ford (126), Marcos de Niza's Richard Florez (152), Apollo's Nicolas Bayless (182) and Prescott's Daniel Hernandez (195).
Some of the top accomplishments in the tournament: At 106 pounds in Division I, Ironwood Ridge's Danny Vega completed a 47-0 season. Vega won by forfeit, pin and two technical falls, the last one in the title bout. Cibola's Nunez recorded a pair of technical falls and two pins on the way to his title at 132. Guerrero won by forfeit in the opening round and by pin in the quarters, semis and final at 170 (D-II). Boulder Creek's Jro Byrd (D-I at 182) won his four matches with a major decision and three pins. Goldwater's Danny Reyes (D-II champ at 220) completed the season 56-0. Reyes capped it beating Sammuel Reeves of Vista Grande via pin in the final.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.