D-I, II wrestling: Mesa Mtn View, Cibola cruising to titles
Originally published: Feb 22, 2014 - 12:00 am
Mesa Mountain View and Cibola lived up to respective pre-state billings with hefty leads heading to the finals late Saturday afternoon of the Division I and II state wrestling tournaments at Tim's Toyota Center in Prescott Valley.
Mountain View qualified five wrestlers for this afternoon's finals that begin at 4 p.m. Paden Mason (113-pounds), Ryan Gallo (138), Blake Monty (145), Weston Taylor (160) and Kieffer Taylor (170) get to go for the gold. Cibola, which moved down to D-II this year after many years in D-I, qualified three for the finals -- Luis Nunez (132), Pierre Gaud (160) and Vicente Guerrero (170).
Mountain View leads D-I with 174 points with only the medal rounds remaining. Following Mountain View in order are defending champion Sunnyside (117), Boulder Creek (112), Corona del Sol (102.5) and Ironwood Ridge (71). Ironwood Ridge was the D-II champ last year and moved up to D-I this year.
Cibola's lead isn't as large in the D-II race, but is comfortable. The Raiders have 124 points followed by Cienega (84.5), Marana Mountain View (82.5), Sunrise Mountain (65) and Gila Ridge and Liberty (63).
Division I had eight returning state champs and all advanced to this afternoon's finals -- Valley Vista's Jacob Reyes (120), Sunnyside's Juaqin Olivas (120), William Olivas (126) and Gabriel Gonzales (195), Corona del Sol's Glenn Farina (138) and Ethan Tursini (160), Mountain Ridge's Michael Suwyn (152) and Basha's Trey Ronayne (170). One of the eight -- either Valley Vista's Jacob Reyes or Sunnyside's Juaqin Olivas won't repeat since they battle one another in the 120-pound final.
Four wrestlers in Division II entered the tournament with a shot at a repeat and all four still have the opportunity -- Gila Ridge's Nathan Mendivil (106), Deer Valley's Jacob Swift (138), Goldwater's Troy Vandall (145) and Sahuaro's Kyle Jividen (285).
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.