D-I wrestling: Top seeds, other info for Feb. 21-22 meet
Originally published: Feb 20, 2014 - 12:00 am
The one-week delayed Division I state wrestling tournament gets under way Friday (Feb. 21) and continues through Saturday (Feb. 22) in the cooler climbs of Prescott Valley at Tim's Toyota Center.
Matches begin Friday with Session I at 11:30 a.m. and run through late afternoon and early evening. Championship brackets will run through the quarterfinals as will a couple rounds of consolations. Action resumes with Session II at 10 a.m. Saturday with championship semifinals and the rest of the consolation matches leading up to medal rounds. The medal rounds are Session III and set to begin at 3:45 p.m.
Here are the top four seeds for each weight class:
106 pounds: 1. Danny Vega (IRWR); 2. Jacob Rios (VV); 3. Kade Williams (MTV); 4. Keenan Woodburn (BRCP). 113 -- 1. Paden Mason (MTV); 2. Alejandro Calderon (MARY); 3. Jayce Clary (PINN); 4. Alex Carillo (DVIS). 120 -- 1. Juaquin Olivas (SS); 2. Jacob Reyes (VV); 3. Cory Crooks (BC); 4. Daniel Ramirez (RM. 126 -- 1. William Olivas (SS); 2. Branson Tibs (BC); 3. Jerod Booth (MTV); 4. Zach Lighty (CENTE). 132 1. Brett Kasprzyk (MESA); 2. Jarod Breeser (MTR); 3. Joel Rico (CHAN); 4. Talon Glasser (WC). 138 -- 1. Chase Meade (MARANA); 2. Matt Kautzman (BC); 3. Ryan Gallo (MTV); 4. Kyle Robbins (CHAVEZ). 145 -- 1. Richard Miranda III (WESTV); 2. Blake Monty (MTV); 3. Ricky Miranda (SS); 4. Adam Garcia (BC). 152 -- 1. Michael Suwyn (MTR); 2. Dajour Reece (CHAN); 3. Jordan Sherwood (DOB); Alejandro Medina (ALHA). 160 -- 1. Ethan Tursini (CDS); 2. Robert Latin (BASHA); 3. Kordell Provchy (WESTV); 4. Jonathan Turk (SDO). 170 -- 1. Trey Ronayne (BASHA); 2. Kieffer Taylor (MTV); 3. Isaias Ochoa (TB); 4. Mason Maksudian (DMT). 182 -- 1. Jro Byrd (BC). 2. Adrian Salazar (MILL); 3. Bridger Barker (CDS). 4. Derek Andersen (HAM). 195 -- 1. Gabriel Gonzales (SS); 2. Phoenix Hollen (MTV); 3. Jordan Erickson (BC); 4. Andres Gonzalex (MARY). 220 -- 1. Bradley Burston (CHAVEZ); 2. Travis Howard (MARY); 3. McKay Huber (MTV); 4. Preston Poisall (SDO). 285 -- 1. Nathan Eldridge (BC); 2. Robert Shrock (MESA); 3 Thomas Chisholm (CHAN); 4. Adam Fernandez (CENTE).
DEFENDING TEAM CHAMP: Sunnyside. RETURNING INDIVIDUAL CHAMPIONS (8) (listed at weight in which they won in 2013) -- Jacob Reyes, Valley Vista (106); Juaquin Olivas, Sunnyside (113); William Olivas, Sunnyside (126); Glenn Farina, Corona del Sol (132); Michael Suwyn, Mountain Ridge (145); Ethan Tursini, Corona del Sol (160); Trey Ronayne, Basha (170) and Gabriel Gonzales, Sunnyside (195). In 2014 Reyes is wrestling at 120; J Olivas at 120; William Olivas at 126; Glenn Farina at 138; Suwyn at 152; Tursini at 160; Ronayne at 170 and Gonzales at 195.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.