Chaparral girls don't allow game vs. Tolleson to get away
Originally published: Feb 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Scottsdale Chaparral’s girls had two losses to Tolleson earlier in the basketball season, but the Lady Firebirds weren’t about to allow a third setback.
In their Division I state tournament first-round game on Wednesday night (Feb. 19), the Firebirds rolled up an early lead and then held off a too-little, too-late rally by visiting Tolleson in the second half for a 69-57 victory.
Chaparral, the 14th seed (13-15), advances to the second round and will play a road game against No. 3 Peoria Liberty on Friday night (Feb. 21). Liberty defeated Chaparral by 20 points in the recent Division I, Section III tournament.
“It was close for awhile, but then we turned the ball over and it got away from us. We will have to take better care of the ball this time,’’ said Chaparral coach Brian Porth.
Against 19th-seeded Tolleson (11-17), Chaparral hit four 3-pointers in the first half to build a 34-21 lead at intermission.
The lead reached 21 points (54-33) with 5:51 left in the game, when Tolleson started to battle back.
Tolleson pulled to within seven (61-54) with a little more than a minute to play, but Chaparral went on an 8-3 run over the remaining time to put the game away.
Tolleson’s post player, Aaliyah Torres, has been out much of the season with a leg injury, and her absence allowed Chaparral to crash the boards with greater emphasis. Chaparral also was more aggressive defensively.
“We continued to force them to take contested jumpers,’’ Porth said.
Kayla Shaw scored 23 points to lead Chaparral, including four 3-pointers. Hannah Hiland finished with 18 points, including 12 in the second half.
Tolleson had three players score in double figures – Alexis Delgado (23 points), Lizette Cantu (13) and Kalicia Bryant (10).
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.