Chaparral girls don't allow game vs. Tolleson to get away
Originally published: Feb 19, 2014 - 12:00 am
Scottsdale Chaparral’s girls had two losses to Tolleson earlier in the basketball season, but the Lady Firebirds weren’t about to allow a third setback.
In their Division I state tournament first-round game on Wednesday night (Feb. 19), the Firebirds rolled up an early lead and then held off a too-little, too-late rally by visiting Tolleson in the second half for a 69-57 victory.
Chaparral, the 14th seed (13-15), advances to the second round and will play a road game against No. 3 Peoria Liberty on Friday night (Feb. 21). Liberty defeated Chaparral by 20 points in the recent Division I, Section III tournament.
“It was close for awhile, but then we turned the ball over and it got away from us. We will have to take better care of the ball this time,’’ said Chaparral coach Brian Porth.
Against 19th-seeded Tolleson (11-17), Chaparral hit four 3-pointers in the first half to build a 34-21 lead at intermission.
The lead reached 21 points (54-33) with 5:51 left in the game, when Tolleson started to battle back.
Tolleson pulled to within seven (61-54) with a little more than a minute to play, but Chaparral went on an 8-3 run over the remaining time to put the game away.
Tolleson’s post player, Aaliyah Torres, has been out much of the season with a leg injury, and her absence allowed Chaparral to crash the boards with greater emphasis. Chaparral also was more aggressive defensively.
“We continued to force them to take contested jumpers,’’ Porth said.
Kayla Shaw scored 23 points to lead Chaparral, including four 3-pointers. Hannah Hiland finished with 18 points, including 12 in the second half.
Tolleson had three players score in double figures – Alexis Delgado (23 points), Lizette Cantu (13) and Kalicia Bryant (10).
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.