D-II girls hoops: Seton seeded No. 1, others could surprise
Originally published: Feb 18, 2014 - 12:00 am
The Division II state girls basketball tournament proved to be an exciting one in the 2012-13 season, as Scottsdale Saguaro emerged with the No. 8 seed and went all the way to claim the crown.
Will a similar situation occur this time around? The prospects are intriguing.
Saguaro was unable to earn a first-round bye on Feb. 19, and comes in at No. 10. The Sabercats will play host to No. 23 Phoenix Washington.
Saguaro is led by guards Casey Rarrick and Jelani Huma.
Chandler Seton Catholic, which reached the semifinals as the No. 2 seed a year ago, is the top seed this year.
No matter which division or section in which Seton competes, it always seems to be at the top of its game under Karen Self, one of the state’s top coaches.
Seton opens play in the second round on Feb. 21 along with the other top seven seeds that received first-round byes.
The seven are No. 2 Phoenix Sierra Linda, No. 3 Vail Cienega, No. 4 Phoenix Thunderbird, No. 5 Flagstaff Coconino, No. 6 Yuma Cibola, No. 7 Tucson Flowing Wells, and No. 8 Phoenix South Mountain.
South Mountain held the top spot for most of the second half of the regular season, but slipped to the No. 8 spot on the final list.
If you are looking for potential surprises, keep an eye on Thunderbird, Flowing Wells, No. 9 Tempe Marcos de Niza, No. 12 Buckeye or the winner of a first-round game on Feb. 19 between No. 18 Peoria and No. 15 Prescott Valley Bradshaw Mountain.
The quarterfinals will be held on Feb. 25 at Jobing.com Arena in Glendale. It also will be the site for the semifinals on Feb. 27 and the championship game on March 1.
- Lisa Contreras - Saturday March 1Head coach of the Westview girl's basketball team, Lisa Contreras, joins the show.
- Sam Duane - Saturday March 1Corona del Sol Head Coach Sam Duane joins the show.
- James Kirk - Saturday March 1Flagstaff Head Coach James Kirk joins the show.
- Paul Coro - Saturday March 1AZ Central's Paul Coro joins the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour of the show we have The Full Court Press and David Hopkinson and Richard Obert also joi
- February 15, 2014 - Hour: 1AIA 365 - Bringing the highest quality on air content covering Arizona and National Prep Athletics.