D-III boys soccer: Coronado offense bounces Yuma Catholic
Originally published: Feb 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Coronado left only a couple minutes of doubt as to whether or not it would return for a third consecutive time to the Division III boys soccer final.
The No. 2 seed Dons built a 3-0 lead by early in the second half, gave up two quick goals in three minutes and closed out a trip to the final with three unanswered goals in posting a 6-2 win over No. 3 Yuma Catholic in a D-III semi at Arcadia High School.
The name Gonzalez was instrumental in Coronado's triumph. Junior Miguel Gonzalez scored two goals and added two assists and sophomore Cristian Gonzalez produced a hat trick for the winners. Coronado improved to 15-3-1 and faces the winner of Tuesday's (Feb. 11) late semifinal between No. 13 Northwest Christian and No. 9 Amphitheater. The D-III title game is set for 7:30 Friday night (Feb. 14) at Campo Verde High School. Yuma Catholic finished its season 18-3.
Coronado, which finished as runner-up the last two seasons to Cortez, scored twice in the first half for a 2-0 lead on Miguel Gonzalez's two goals. Both were from close range -- the first from about 5 yards out netting the far post and the second head on from about 10 yards out.
Cristian Gonzalez took over in the second half, scoring all three of his goals in a 21-minute stretch after intermission. The first came on a penalty kick in the 46th minute that ran Coronado's lead to 3-0. At that point Yuma Catholic showed some spark, scoring on a penalty kick in the 48th minute by leading scorer Jorge Ruiz. Three minutes later Omar Rojas tallied for YC to cut the margin to 3-2. It appeared to set up a dramatic finish over the final 29 minutes.
Not to be. Cristian Gonzalez scored in the 57th minute off the first of two Miguel Gonzalez assists. Two minutes later the lead ballooned to 5-2 as Miguel Gonzalez assisted Juan Cisneros. Cristian Gonzalez capped the scoring with his third goal in the 67th minute.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.