AIA statement with new wrestling tournament schedule
Originally published: Feb 11, 2014 - 12:00 am
Below is the statement the Arizona Interscholastic Association released Tuesday at about 3:30 p.m.:
PHOENIX, AZ (February 11, 2014) – After the investigation of the reported skin infections, the Arizona Interscholastic Association has rescheduled the Division III and IV state wrestling tournaments to Friday and Saturday, Feb. 14 and 15, at Tim’s Toyota Center in Prescott Valley, Ariz.
The Division I and II sectional wrestling tournaments have been rescheduled for Saturday, Feb. 15, taking place at their original locations as well. The Division I and II state wrestling tournaments will be held on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 21 and 22, at Tim’s Toyota Center.
The complete schedule with full details for all divisions will be posted by noon tomorrow at:
“We recognize that the postponement of the wrestling tournaments was an inconvenience but when compared to protecting the health and well-being of our students, it was a choice that had to be made,” said AIA Executive Director, Dr. Harold Slemmer.
It is imperative that schools, parents and participants remain vigilant about preventing skin infections.
Any student playing a direct skin-to-skin contact sport is encouraged to inspect himself or herself at least once a day. If they have any questionable areas, they should let their coach know and be looked at by a physician so they can be given the proper treatment immediately.
Waiting could increase the opportunity for the infection to spread. Mats, practice clothes, headgear and the inside of gym bags should be cleaned daily.
Wrestlers should use antibiotic soap and always shower before leaving the gym. Some coaches also recommend a 4% solution of of chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) such as Hibiclens -- a surgical scrub soap -- to clean the skin.
It remains on the skin for 24 hours. Please see the following pages for the Maricopa County Department of Public Health information on skin infections in Athletes and status update.
Schools, please contact the Arizona Interscholastic Association with any questions.
For more resources, please visit the following links:
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday April 12AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt joins the show.
- Charlie Ragle - Saturday April 12U of A Assistant Coach and Tight Ends Coach Charlie Ragle joins the show.
- Matt Rogers - Saturday April 12Xavier Head Sand Volleyball Coach Matt Rogers joins the show.
- Mike Woods - Saturday April 12Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods joins the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Michael Rabasca, Ky Westbrook, and Richard Obert join the show.
- March 29, 2014 - Hour: 1Eric Kibler and Justin Allen join the show.