AIA statement about wrestling postseason
Originally published: Feb 10, 2014 - 12:00 am
PHOENIX, AZ (Feb. 10, 2014) – The AIA staff and the AIA Executive Board consider the health and safety of all students to be of the highest concern. The postponement of the sectional tournament last week was done based on advice and counsel received from medical, public health officials and experts within the national wrestling community. Based on that information, without dissent, the sectionals were postponed in order to reduce the risk of the spread of further skin related infection(s).
The AIA is currently working with public health officials to identify the nature of the infection(s), determine how widespread this may be, and incubation period(s). We will work closely with the schools and wrestling community to provide public health officials with all the information they are requesting. The AIA has requested that schools and families respond to Maricopa County public health officials as quickly as possible.
“We hope that this will come to a timely resolution. We realize that this was an inconvenience and disappointment for many and yet, reducing the possible spread of infection had to take priority,” says Chuck Schmidt, Associate Executive Director.
The AIA is making every effort to have by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 11, adequate direction from the above referenced experts to make an informed decision whether to move forward with the post-season tournament as early as Friday, Feb. 14. There will be no post-season wrestling tournament events taking place on Thursday, Feb. 13. We appreciate the patience and cooperation of the membership, parents and especially the students.
Media please contact Maricopa County Department of Public Health Contact Public Information Officer Jeanene Fowler; firstname.lastname@example.org; 602-722-1806, with any questions.
Schools please contact the Arizona Interscholastic Association with any questions.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.