Updated Feb 10, 2014 - 5:10 pm
AIA provides more information regarding upcoming wrestling tournaments
PHOENIX, AZ (Feb. 10, 2014) – The AIA staff and the AIA Executive Board consider the health and safety of all students to be of the highest concern. The postponement of the sectional tournament last week was done based on advice and counsel received from medical, public health officials and experts within the national wrestling community. Based on that information, without dissent, the sectionals were postponed in order to reduce the risk of the spread of further skin related infection(s).
The AIA is currently working with public health officials to identify the nature of the infection(s), determine how widespread this may be, and incubation period(s). We will work closely with the schools and wrestling community to provide public health officials with all the information they are requesting. The AIA has requested that schools and families respond to Maricopa County public health officials as quickly as possible.
“We hope that this will come to a timely resolution. We realize that this was an inconvenience and disappointment for many and yet, reducing the possible spread of infection had to take priority,” says Chuck Schmidt, Associate Executive Director.
The AIA is making every effort to have by 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 11, adequate direction from the above referenced experts to make an informed decision whether to move forward with the post-season tournament as early as Friday, Feb. 14. There will be no post-season wrestling tournament events taking place on Thursday, Feb. 13. We appreciate the patience and cooperation of the membership, parents and especially the students.
Maricopa Country of Public Health Contact: Jeanene Fowler; Public Information Officer;
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.