Defending champ Brophy earns soccer stripes in D-I quarter
Originally published: Feb 8, 2014 - 12:00 am
Don’t underestimate the power of the peppermint.
Phoenix Brophy Prep’s Broncos, wearing white jerseys with horizontal red stripes that make them resemble the after-dinner confection, have their sights set on the main boys soccer course for the second straight season.
The defending Division I champs, seeded second this year, unwrapped a 3-0 quarterfinal victory over No. 7 Glendale Ironwood at Brophy on Saturday (Feb. 8).
Brophy (19-2) advances to play sixth-seeded Phoenix Alhambra in one semifinal match on Wednesday (Feb. 12) at Gilbert Campo Verde High, with a 5 p.m. start time. Alhambra defeated No. 14 Gilbert Highland 3-1. In the other semi that follows, No. 1 seed Chandler Hamilton will meet No. 5 Phoenix Sandra Day O’Connor.
Hamilton advanced with a 2-1 overtime win (penalty kicks) over No. 9 Phoenix Desert Vista, and Sandra Day O’Connor remained alive with a 2-0 win over No. 13 Phoenix North Canyon.
Ironwood finished 20-5.
The Brophy-Ironwood match was a bit chippy at times, with words and an occasional shove or two exchanged.
The Ironwood contingent wasn’t very happy with what it thought was unbalanced officiating. The Eagles were yellow-carded seven times, Brophy none.
“We scouted them and knew they were a physical team,’’ said Brophy first-year coach Noah Lewkowitz. “We knew they would be difficult to play, and they are well-coached.’’
Junior John Rea led Brophy with a goal and an assist. Seniors Adam Mosharrafa and Alex Broglia scored the other two goals.
Lewkowitz said Rea “is an excellent player. He is extremely fast.’’
Brophy also played well defensively. One of the team’s primary targets was Ironwood junior midfielder Stephen Church, whom Lewkowitz called “the best athlete on the field. We wanted to try and disrupt him as much as possible.’’
Phil Mourikes did a good job in goal for Brophy. Lewkowitz said he was instrumental in the team’s title last season, filling in for the injured starter early in the state tournament and carrying the momentum through.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.