Playing the boys and girls supersectional hoops waiting game
Originally published: Feb 6, 2014 - 12:00 am
One day left (two for D-I, Section 4 folks) before we can ferret out which schools in Division I (boys and girls) have qualified for next week's supersectionals across the Valley.
There are spots in some of the four sections that are clinched, but as many and in what order is still up in the air. Here's the best knowledge with games left to play Friday (Feb. 7) and the finish on Saturday (Feb. 8) of the Cesar Chavez-Betty Fairfax game suspended by gunshots a week prior. Here goes:
DIVISION I SUPERSECTIONAL QUALIFYING
Section 1: Sunnyslope has clinched the No. 1 seed. Apollo and Deer Valley are 2-3 with the order determined by their contests Friday (Apollo vs. Centennial and Deer Valley vs. Liberty). Apollo owns the tie-breaker for 2 if it and Deer Valley both win or both lose, Mountain Ridge clinches the 4 spot with a win Friday over Ironwood. Valley Vista clinches the 4 spot if Ironwood defeats Mountain Ridge. Section 2: Corona del Sol has clinched the No. 1 seed, Hamilton the 2 or 3 and Perry at least the 4 spot. Hamilton and Perry meet Friday with the winner taking the 2 seed. A three-way tie could ensue among Perry, Highland and Gilbert for the 3-4 spots. In that event Highland would be 3, Perry 4 and Gilbert the odd team out. A three-way tie for 3-4 among Hamilton, Gilbert and Highland would result in Hamilton at 3 and Gilbert 4 with Highland the odd team out. Section 3: Dobson, Pinnacle and Mesa Mountain View have clinched spots. Dobson and Pinnacle are at worst 1-2. Dobson clinches the No. 1 seed with a win over Brophy or a Pinnacle loss to Chaparral. Pinnacle can finish 1 with a win over Chaparal and a Dobson loss to Brophy. Mountain View is locked in as the 3 seed. Mesa High clinches the 4 seed with a win over Horizon or a Chaparral loss to Pinnacle. Chaparral takes the 4 spot with a win over Pinnacle and a Mesa loss to Horizon. Section 4: Westview has clinched the No. 1 seed. The 2-4 seeds are up for grabs among Carl Hayden, Central, Betty Fairfax and North. The most likely trio to advance in some order at 2-3-4 are Carl Hayden, Central and Fairfax. The final game for this section is Saturday Feb. 8 as mentioned above.
Section 1: Liberty has clinched the No. 1 seed. Ironwood has clinched at least the 3 or 4 seed and Boulder Creek either the 2 or 3 seed. Mountain Ridge and Valley Vista are vying for the final spot. If Mountain Ridge beats Ironwood on Friday it will be the No. 2 seed. If Valley Vista beats Willow Canyon on Friday and Mountain Ridge loses, Valley Vista gets the 4 seed and Mountain Ridge would be the odd team out. Section 2: Desert Vista, Mountain Pointe and Mesquite have clinched three of the berths. Basha and Highland are competing for the fourth berth. Desert Vista plays Basha, Mountain Pointe plays Chandler and Mesquite plays Skyline on Friday. Highland has completed section play. A Desert Vista win over Basha on Friday clinches No. 1 for Desert Vista and would clinch the 4 spot for Highland. Basha would be the odd team out. A Basha win over Desert Vista likely creates a four-way tie among Desert Vista, Mountain Pointe, Mesquite and Basha at 10-2 given Mountain Pointe and Mesquite close with wins. All four would qualify, but the seeding for supersectional would be 1. Mountain Pointe, 2. Basha 3. Mesquite and 4. Desert Vista based on tie-breaking (head-to-head criteria). Section 3: Dobson has clinched the No. 1 spot. Mesa Mountain View has clinched 2. The 3-4 spots are up for grabs among Pinnacle, Horizon and Chaparral. Pinnacle plays Chaparral on Friday and the winner clinches a spot. If Pinnacle wins it clinches 3. If Chaparral beats Pinnacle and Horizon beats Mesa, Horizon is 3, Chaparral is 4 and Pinnacle the odd team out. If Pinnacle and Horizon both lose, Pinnacle would be 4 and Horizon the odd team out If Pinnacle and Horizon lose and Desert Mountain wins (vs. North Canyon), Horizon would be 4 and Pinnacle the odd team out. Desert Mountain can tie for the 4 spot, but loses would not qualify in any scenario. Section 4: The four seeds are determined. Westview has clinched the No. 1 seed. Millennium is No. 2 Betty Fairfax is No. 3 and Tolleson is No. 4.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.