Firebirds get second-half goal, hold on to edge Millennium
Originally published: Feb 5, 2014 - 12:00 am
Olivia Struckman has a knack for being in the right place at the right time for Scottsdale Chaparral’s soccer team.
Some of it is good fortune, but most of it is good sense, paying attention to where the ball and her opponents are, and where she needs to be.
It has happened many times for the Lady Firebirds this season, and happened again on Wednesday night (Feb. 5) when the fifth-seeded team opened play in the Division I state tournament.
As the ball bounced loose in front of the Goodyear Millennium goal, Struckman was there to boot the ball home with 31:56 left in the contest. The Chaparral defense toughened up and kept the Tigers off the board the rest of the way, including a few late-game pushes, good enough for a 1-0 victory in the first game of a double-header at Phoenix Xavier.
By defeating 12th-seeded Millennium, Chaparral advances to the quarterfinals on Saturday afternoon (Feb. 8) against the winner of Wednesday’s second game between Xavier and Phoenix Desert Vista. That was a rematch of last season’s D-I title game won by Xavier.
“We were very persistent, had a lot of opportunities in the second half. Fortunately, we were able to put one in,’’ said Chaparral coach Robyn Carlson. “The girls played well. They are a good team, and we picked up our intensity in the second half.’’
About a minute after Struckman’s goal, Chaparral nearly made it 2-0 but Millennium goalkeeper Ashley Price turned the Firebirds away. Aside from the one-goal hiccup, Price and the Tigers played a solid game.
Carlson said Struckman, a senior, “is awesome. She makes things happen and she is a leader.’’
The coach also was quick to give credit to her own defense and keeper Taylor Wolpe.
“Our defense doesn’t get a lot of attention, but we held our ground and were able to get the shutout,’’ Carlson said.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.