AIA official in stable condition after suffering arrhythmia
Originally published: Jan 29, 2014 - 12:00 am
Well-respected Arizona Interscholastic Association soccer official Mike Chaison is in stable condition after suffering a heart arrhythmia during Tuesday’s boys soccer match between Salpointe and Sabino.
Chaison, the center official during the match, fell to the ground without warning during the match. A paramedic who was attending the match quickly left the stands to tend to Chaison.
Salpointe's trainer was assisting the paramedic. Salpointe had a defibrillator on site during the match, which the paramedic used.
When an ambulance arrived, Chaison was sitting up and talking, said the AIA’s Gary Whelchel, the state commissioner of officials. Chaison was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center.
“The comment that I got (from an AIA area commissioner) was that Mike was very lucky that this happened at the place and time it happened, and that somebody was right there,” Whelchel said.
Chaison has been a soccer official for the AIA for 20-plus years and has worked state championship games in the past.
“Mike is a positive leader in the Tucson soccer community,” Whelchel said. “He teaches and mentors new officials.”
Last year, the AIA became just the second state high school association in the nation to implement an Emergency Action Plan during postseason games just in case a situation such as Tuesday’s live saving event occurs.
The AIA worked with the the Anyone Can Safe A Life program to make sure a defibrillator is at every school during playoff games. Salpointe, luckily, had its defibrillator at Tuesday’s regular season game.
Officials from Anyone Can Safe A Life program will be at Liberty High on Feb. 22 to give a presentation about its program. For more information on Anyone Can Safe A Life go here.
Tuesday’s Salpointe-Sabino game was postponed until Thursday.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.