AIA official in stable condition after suffering arrhythmia
Originally published: Jan 29, 2014 - 12:00 am
Well-respected Arizona Interscholastic Association soccer official Mike Chaison is in stable condition after suffering a heart arrhythmia during Tuesday’s boys soccer match between Salpointe and Sabino.
Chaison, the center official during the match, fell to the ground without warning during the match. A paramedic who was attending the match quickly left the stands to tend to Chaison.
Salpointe's trainer was assisting the paramedic. Salpointe had a defibrillator on site during the match, which the paramedic used.
When an ambulance arrived, Chaison was sitting up and talking, said the AIA’s Gary Whelchel, the state commissioner of officials. Chaison was taken to the University of Arizona Medical Center.
“The comment that I got (from an AIA area commissioner) was that Mike was very lucky that this happened at the place and time it happened, and that somebody was right there,” Whelchel said.
Chaison has been a soccer official for the AIA for 20-plus years and has worked state championship games in the past.
“Mike is a positive leader in the Tucson soccer community,” Whelchel said. “He teaches and mentors new officials.”
Last year, the AIA became just the second state high school association in the nation to implement an Emergency Action Plan during postseason games just in case a situation such as Tuesday’s live saving event occurs.
The AIA worked with the the Anyone Can Safe A Life program to make sure a defibrillator is at every school during playoff games. Salpointe, luckily, had its defibrillator at Tuesday’s regular season game.
Officials from Anyone Can Safe A Life program will be at Liberty High on Feb. 22 to give a presentation about its program. For more information on Anyone Can Safe A Life go here.
Tuesday’s Salpointe-Sabino game was postponed until Thursday.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.