Mtn. View girls overcome early struggles, down Boulder Creek
Originally published: Jan 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
The 2013-14 girls basketball regular season is heading toward the final stretch. The sectional and state tournaments will be here soon.
That means no time can be wasted.
After digging itself a 16-8 hole at the end of the first quarter, Mesa Mountain View made up for it the rest of the way against host Anthem Boulder Creek on Monday night (Jan. 27), outscoring the Jaguars by 22 points in the remaining three quarters for a 53-39 Division I victory.
Mountain View (15-8) did it by turning up the pressure on defense and strong offensive production from the 1-2 punch of Armani Hawkins and Cherokee Davis.
“Midway through the second quarter, we started to find our rhythm,’’ said Mountain View coach Henry Bribiescas. “Our defense did a good job and forced the turnovers.’’
It was the Toros’ intent to limit the number of times that Boulder Creek junior star Darian Slaga would touch the ball.
She managed to score 20 points, but was forced into some turnovers and off-balance shots.
“The good thing for us is that we’ve been able to claw back in games like this,’’ Bribiescas said.
Davis scored 24 points and Hawkins had 20.
“This was a good power points win for us,’’ Bribiescas said.
Mountain View also was missing two starters, Christine Miller (fracture in hand) and Bribiescas’ daughter, Shauna (stress fracture in foot).
Mountain View won’t get much time to celebrate. The Lady Toros are back on the road Tuesday night (Jan. 28) against a good Scottsdale Chaparral team.
Meanwhile, Boulder Creek, trying to avoid sinking below sea level (it is 10-10), plays again at home on Tuesday night against Glendale Deer Valley.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday March 8AIA Associate Executive Director joins the show this morning.
- Karen Self - Saturday March 8Seton Catholic Head Girls Basketball Coach, Karen Self, joins the show.
- Jerry Conner - Saturday March 8Shadow Mountain Head Coach, Jerry Conner, joins the show.
- J'ohntar Coleman - Saturday March 8Desert Vista Head Girls Basketball Coach, J'ohntar Coleman, joins the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 1Player Casey Benson and coaches J'ohntar Coleman and Jerry Conner join the show.
- March 8, 2014 - Hour: 2Karen Self and AIA's Chuck Schmidt join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 1Jim Smith, Brian Bolitho and Paul Coro join the show.
- March 1, 2014 - Hour: 2This hour James Kirk, Lisa Contreras and Sam Duane join the show
- February 22, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour, Michael Carutenuto, Les Wilsey and Jason Skoda join the show.