Mtn. View girls overcome early struggles, down Boulder Creek
Originally published: Jan 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
The 2013-14 girls basketball regular season is heading toward the final stretch. The sectional and state tournaments will be here soon.
That means no time can be wasted.
After digging itself a 16-8 hole at the end of the first quarter, Mesa Mountain View made up for it the rest of the way against host Anthem Boulder Creek on Monday night (Jan. 27), outscoring the Jaguars by 22 points in the remaining three quarters for a 53-39 Division I victory.
Mountain View (15-8) did it by turning up the pressure on defense and strong offensive production from the 1-2 punch of Armani Hawkins and Cherokee Davis.
“Midway through the second quarter, we started to find our rhythm,’’ said Mountain View coach Henry Bribiescas. “Our defense did a good job and forced the turnovers.’’
It was the Toros’ intent to limit the number of times that Boulder Creek junior star Darian Slaga would touch the ball.
She managed to score 20 points, but was forced into some turnovers and off-balance shots.
“The good thing for us is that we’ve been able to claw back in games like this,’’ Bribiescas said.
Davis scored 24 points and Hawkins had 20.
“This was a good power points win for us,’’ Bribiescas said.
Mountain View also was missing two starters, Christine Miller (fracture in hand) and Bribiescas’ daughter, Shauna (stress fracture in foot).
Mountain View won’t get much time to celebrate. The Lady Toros are back on the road Tuesday night (Jan. 28) against a good Scottsdale Chaparral team.
Meanwhile, Boulder Creek, trying to avoid sinking below sea level (it is 10-10), plays again at home on Tuesday night against Glendale Deer Valley.
- Dave Zorn - Saturday June 14Host of the Friday Night Wrap-Up Show, Dave Zorn, joins the show to talk about why he is leaving.
- Chuck Schmidt - Saturday June 14AIA Executive Director, Chuck Schmidt, joins the show to talk about everything AIA.
- Blake Jackson - Saturday June 7Gilbert High School, Scottsdale Community College and Oklahoma State alum, Blake Jackson joins the s
- Casey Benson - Saturday June 7Three Time State Champion PG for Corona Del Sol, Casey Benson, joins the show.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour Jim and Craig talk to 3 TV's Tyler Baldwin and Az Central's Richard Obert.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365, in this hour Sammy Chagolla, Bryce Perkins and Ky Westbrook join the show.
- June 7, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Cole Tucker, Casey Benson and Blake Jackson join the show.
- May 31, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 Show, bringing the latest in high school sports around the state.