Most soccer section titles still up for grabs in final week
Originally published: Jan 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
Automatic state tournament berths in soccer (boys and girls) this winter go only to section champions in each of the three divisions. That means four automatic berths in D-I, seven in D-II and six in D-III. Heading to this final week of regular-season play (Jan. 27-Jan. 30), here are how the automatic berths stand as of Monday Jan. 27 (AM):
DIVISION I BOYS
Section 1 -- Between Alhambra and Trevor Browne. Teams play each other Jan. 28. Winner likely clinches. Section 2 -- Hamilton has clinched. Section 3 -- Brophy has clinched. Section 4 -- Between Ironwood and Sandra Day O'Connor. Ironwood owns tie-breaker with one match left.
DIVISION II BOYS
Section 1 -- Tempe High has the edge over Queen Creek and clinches with win over Saguaro on Jan. 28. Section 2 -- Tucson has edge over Nogales and Salpointe. Needs wins over Desert View and or Sahuaro to clinch. Section 3 -- Copper Canyon has edge over Verrado. Copper Canyon needs one more section win to clinch. Section 4 -- Between Thunderbird and Cactus Shadows. Thunderbird has tie-breaker and needs one more section win. Section 5 -- Coconino has clinched. Section 6 -- Catalina Foothills meets Flowing Wells on Jan. 28. Winner takes the section. A tie between the teams means section title to Catalina Foothills. Section 7 -- Cibola has edge over Kofa. If Cibola beats Kofa on Jan.29, Cibola clinches section. If Kofa beats Cibola, could come down to Kofa and San Luis for the section title. Tie-breaker between San Luis and Kofa favors San Luis.
DIVISION III BOYS
Section 1 -- Mingus has advantage over Scottsdale Christian and Scottsdale Prep. Needs win ove Joy Christian to clinch. Section 2 -- Yuma Catholic has clinched. Section 3 -- Palo Verde has clinched. Section 4 -- Coronado has clinched. Section 5 -- Safford has clinched. Section 6 -- Coolidge has clinched.
DIVISION I GIRLS
Section 1 -- Millennium has edge over Willow Canyon. Millennium beats North on Jan. 29, it clinches. Section 2 -- Basha, Perry and Highland all contending. Basha clinches if it defeats Highland on Jan. 28. Perry clinches with a Highland win over Basha and a Perry win over Red Mountain on Jan. 29. Highland wins in a three-way tie among Highland, Basha and Hamilton at 7-2 since it would have beaten both Basha and Hamilton. Section 3 -- Xavier has edge over Deset Mountain. Xavier can clinch beating Desert Mountain on Jan. 28. Section 4 -- Pinnacle has edge over Boulder Creek and Chaparral. Pinnacle clinches if it defeats Chaparral on Jan. 29.
DIVISION II GIRLS
Section 1 -- Notre Dame Prep has clinched. Section 2 -- Sahuaro has clinched. Section 3 -- Verrado needs one win to clinch. Section 4 -- Between Sunnyslope and Cactus Shadows. Sunnyslope wins final two games, it clinches. If Sunnyslope loses to either Sunrise Mountain or Shadow Mountain and Cactus Shadows defeats Peoria on Jan. 29, Cactus Shadows clinches. Section 5 -- Flagstaff vs. Coconino winner on Jan. 29 clinches. Section 6 -- Catalina Foothills needs win over Flowing Wells or Casa Grande to clinch. Section 7 -- Kofa clinches by beating Cibola on Jan. 29. Cibola clinches by beating Kofa plus loss or tie by Gila Ridge.
DIVISION III GIRLS
Section 1 -- Northwest Christian has edge and clinches with win over Scottsdale Prep on Jan. 28. If Scottsdale Prep beats NWC, Mingus clinches. Section 2 -- Yuma Catholic has clinched. Section 3 -- Rio Rico clinches if it beats Walden Grove on Jan. 29. Section 4 -- Fountain Hills has edge over Seton Catholic. Section 5 -- Safford has clinched. Section 6 -- Pusch Ridge-Tanque Verde winner on Jan. 28 clinches.
- Perry High Sophomore and Arizona State Basketball Commit Markus Howard - Saturday August 30Markus Howard talks about committing to ASU and the upcoming season for Perry High School.
- Xavier Prep Junior and USC Girl's Volleyball Commit Khalia Lanier - Saturday August 30Khalia Lanier talks about the volleyball season and her commitment to USC.
- Basha Head Football Coach Gerald Todd - Saturday August 30Gerald Todd talks about getting their first win of the season against Desert Vista.
- Jim and Mark Sollenberger Brothers of Barry Sollenberger - Saturday August 23Jim and Mark Sollenberger talk about the Sollenberger Classic and what the event means to the Sollen
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps recaps week 1 of the AZ HS sports season.
- August 30, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps week 1 of the Arizona High School sports season.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 1Arizona Sports Preps 365 recaps and previews the Sollenberger Classic football games.
- August 23, 2014 - Hour: 2Arizona Sports Preps 365 Recaps and Previews the Sollenberger Classic Game in Las Vegas.
- June 14, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Jim and Craig talk to Chuck Schmidt and Dave Zorn.