Most soccer section titles still up for grabs in final week
Originally published: Jan 27, 2014 - 12:00 am
Automatic state tournament berths in soccer (boys and girls) this winter go only to section champions in each of the three divisions. That means four automatic berths in D-I, seven in D-II and six in D-III. Heading to this final week of regular-season play (Jan. 27-Jan. 30), here are how the automatic berths stand as of Monday Jan. 27 (AM):
DIVISION I BOYS
Section 1 -- Between Alhambra and Trevor Browne. Teams play each other Jan. 28. Winner likely clinches. Section 2 -- Hamilton has clinched. Section 3 -- Brophy has clinched. Section 4 -- Between Ironwood and Sandra Day O'Connor. Ironwood owns tie-breaker with one match left.
DIVISION II BOYS
Section 1 -- Tempe High has the edge over Queen Creek and clinches with win over Saguaro on Jan. 28. Section 2 -- Tucson has edge over Nogales and Salpointe. Needs wins over Desert View and or Sahuaro to clinch. Section 3 -- Copper Canyon has edge over Verrado. Copper Canyon needs one more section win to clinch. Section 4 -- Between Thunderbird and Cactus Shadows. Thunderbird has tie-breaker and needs one more section win. Section 5 -- Coconino has clinched. Section 6 -- Catalina Foothills meets Flowing Wells on Jan. 28. Winner takes the section. A tie between the teams means section title to Catalina Foothills. Section 7 -- Cibola has edge over Kofa. If Cibola beats Kofa on Jan.29, Cibola clinches section. If Kofa beats Cibola, could come down to Kofa and San Luis for the section title. Tie-breaker between San Luis and Kofa favors San Luis.
DIVISION III BOYS
Section 1 -- Mingus has advantage over Scottsdale Christian and Scottsdale Prep. Needs win ove Joy Christian to clinch. Section 2 -- Yuma Catholic has clinched. Section 3 -- Palo Verde has clinched. Section 4 -- Coronado has clinched. Section 5 -- Safford has clinched. Section 6 -- Coolidge has clinched.
DIVISION I GIRLS
Section 1 -- Millennium has edge over Willow Canyon. Millennium beats North on Jan. 29, it clinches. Section 2 -- Basha, Perry and Highland all contending. Basha clinches if it defeats Highland on Jan. 28. Perry clinches with a Highland win over Basha and a Perry win over Red Mountain on Jan. 29. Highland wins in a three-way tie among Highland, Basha and Hamilton at 7-2 since it would have beaten both Basha and Hamilton. Section 3 -- Xavier has edge over Deset Mountain. Xavier can clinch beating Desert Mountain on Jan. 28. Section 4 -- Pinnacle has edge over Boulder Creek and Chaparral. Pinnacle clinches if it defeats Chaparral on Jan. 29.
DIVISION II GIRLS
Section 1 -- Notre Dame Prep has clinched. Section 2 -- Sahuaro has clinched. Section 3 -- Verrado needs one win to clinch. Section 4 -- Between Sunnyslope and Cactus Shadows. Sunnyslope wins final two games, it clinches. If Sunnyslope loses to either Sunrise Mountain or Shadow Mountain and Cactus Shadows defeats Peoria on Jan. 29, Cactus Shadows clinches. Section 5 -- Flagstaff vs. Coconino winner on Jan. 29 clinches. Section 6 -- Catalina Foothills needs win over Flowing Wells or Casa Grande to clinch. Section 7 -- Kofa clinches by beating Cibola on Jan. 29. Cibola clinches by beating Kofa plus loss or tie by Gila Ridge.
DIVISION III GIRLS
Section 1 -- Northwest Christian has edge and clinches with win over Scottsdale Prep on Jan. 28. If Scottsdale Prep beats NWC, Mingus clinches. Section 2 -- Yuma Catholic has clinched. Section 3 -- Rio Rico clinches if it beats Walden Grove on Jan. 29. Section 4 -- Fountain Hills has edge over Seton Catholic. Section 5 -- Safford has clinched. Section 6 -- Pusch Ridge-Tanque Verde winner on Jan. 28 clinches.
- Paul Lopez - Saturday April 19Mountain Pointe Football and Track Athlete Paul Lucas joins the show.
- Jerry Dawson - Saturday April 19Former Chaparral Baseball Manager Jerry Dawson joins the show.
- Geno Fata - Saturday April 19Geno Fata Account Executive with the Diamondbacks joins the show.
- Jean Boyd - Saturday April 19ASU Associate Senior Athletic Director Jean Boyd joins the show.
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 1Phoenix Suns Spirit of Cotton Award Winner and Valley Lutheran Head boys’ Basketball coach Robert Ko
- April 19, 2014 - Hour: 2In this hour Geno Fata, Jerry Dawson and Paul Lucas join the show.
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson, Hamilton Head Baseball Coach Mike Woods, and Xavier Sand Volleyb
- April 12, 2014 - Hour: 2U of A Assistant Coach Coach Charlie Ragle and AIA Associate Executive Director Chuck Schmidt join t
- April 5, 2014 - Hour: 1In this hour AIA 365's Les Wilsey joins the show.